Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember the old 80-81 turbo trans ams with the LED boost lights in the hood? (See attached) I was thinking it would be cool to do the same for my LLY. I was looking at a cowl hood like a Reflexxion and need some thoughts on how I could go about this. Thanks, G

turbolights.jpg

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Anyone remember the old 80-81 turbo trans ams with the LED boost lights in the hood? (See attached) I was thinking it would be cool to do the same for my LLY. I was looking at a cowl hood like a Reflexxion and need some thoughts on how I could go about this. Thanks, G

View attachment 52067
OOOOOOHHHHHH, that would be awesome! If an Edge can tell you boost on an Attitude monitor, then there has got to be a wire to tap in to help out with this. That is probably the only contribution I can make to this.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOOOOOHHHHHH, that would be awesome! If an Edge can tell you boost on an Attitude monitor, then there has got to be a wire to tap in to help out with this. That is probably the only contribution I can make to this.
Yeah, I'm hoping one DP's finest will have some ideas. Some eye candy for the guy next to you at the stoplights.. just before you blow his doors off... :D

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well if they figured it out in 1980 it most likely was mechanical. It was probably some type of pressure sensor that just triggered 3 lights. I dont see why you couldnt do something like that. A more modern method would be to use the boost output of something...but then you might need a controller of sorts to translate that 0-7 needs 1 light, 8-14 needs 2 lights, etc.
ac

·
Registered
219 Posts
That would look sweet on a truck. Maybe you could do a little bubble like the 70's model fire birds had, or a cowl hood look.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anybody throw up some pics of what your cowl hood looks like from inside the cab? It would be nice to know how much space we would have to work with.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I didn't know it was just 3 lites. I would want it to be more like 10-15 if possible...kind of like KITT. Each lite could represent 2-3 lbs of pressure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, I have a 07.5 GMC HD, but I think the Chevy is a little bit different.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't know it was just 3 lites. I would want it to be more like 10-15 if possible...kind of like KITT. Each lite could represent 2-3 lbs of pressure.
I was thinking of filling up the rise in the cowl itself. My cousin had one of the LED trans ams and if I remember correctly the lights were all yellow. Not bad for 25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
The electronics would be the difficult part... there's a few ways how I personally would do it:

-Get a digital (electric) boost sensor with a digital signal output for boost level, then get an IC to convert that digital output to a series of "stepped" lights; boost 0-2psi = on 1, 2-4psi on 1+2, boost 4-6psi on 1+2+3, etc. Pretty complex, hard to make, 100% accurate.

-Get a boost sensor that puts out variable voltage depending on boost. I don't know of anyone who makes something like this, but I'm sure it exists. The higher the voltage, the more lights on (this can be done a few different ways- resistors, IC's, etc). Not as complex, a little easier, pretty accurate.

-Find a boost gauge that already has the readout style you desire. I've seen these made for voltmeters before; a series of colored LED's (a few yellow, a bunch of green, a few red) in a line- the higher the voltage, the more lights lit on the readout. If you can find a boost gauge in this style, you could use the internals to wire a driver for your own lights/LED's with resistors, solid state relays, etc. Pretty simple, pretty easy to do (assuming you can find a boost gauge like that), and accurate enough for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Upon looking into it a little more, here's what I found...

Motorola makes a 0-36.3PSI pressure sensor with a 0.2v-4.9v output. Basically, you give it boost and it gives you voltage relative. Part number is MPX4250; datasheet is attached.

All you'd need then is an output converter to go from volts input to scalable outputs; that is, depending on input voltage (from motorola sensor), how many and which outputs to power- input 0.2-0.4v=output 1, input0.5-0.7v output= 1+2, input0.8-1.0v=1+2+3output, etc. This should be doable within one IC, but I don't know of one offhand.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
schulte's idea would be nice and neat. you could setup a couple adj hobbs switches one to each light

·
Registered
497 Posts
rpm's

could you jus have it fixed for looks an jus use it set with rpm's like at a stoplight then have an aux switch to turn off so it would'nt bother you while driven.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
How would you "set it with RPM's"? I'd think that'd be just as difficult as displaying boost...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
could you jus have it fixed for looks an jus use it set with rpm's like at a stoplight then have an aux switch to turn off so it would'nt bother you while driven.:rolleyes:
Could I wire it into a DSP5 so it's only active on certain EFI tunes?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Upon looking into it a little more, here's what I found...

Motorola makes a 0-36.3PSI pressure sensor with a 0.2v-4.9v output. Basically, you give it boost and it gives you voltage relative. Part number is MPX4250; datasheet is attached.

All you'd need then is an output converter to go from volts input to scalable outputs; that is, depending on input voltage (from motorola sensor), how many and which outputs to power- input 0.2-0.4v=output 1, input0.5-0.7v output= 1+2, input0.8-1.0v=1+2+3output, etc. This should be doable within one IC, but I don't know of one offhand.
Thanks for providing the data sheet on this. I'll tinker with it and see what I can come up with. G

·
Registered
434 Posts
First thing I think of when picturing this is the TV show "Night Rider". This would be pretty cool!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How would you "set it with RPM's"? I'd think that'd be just as difficult as displaying boost...
I got to thinking about this... basically it's the same concept as a shift light on a tach right?

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
schulte's idea would be nice and neat. you could setup a couple adj hobbs switches one to each light
That would be pretty easy. Use a super diesel pressure mainifold, with 3 adjustable hobs switches.
then wire each to a diff. color 12v led or led strip. like these www.radlites.com. Just simple and effective. as for the efilive dsp5. The output perameter is common to the 4 dsp tunes, so if you wanted i belive you can set it up so the lights are off in the base tune and on in the dsp tunes. dsp 1 can be the same tune as the base, so 1 is with lights and 1 is with out. i have never sut up an output though..... is it a 12v output. i have heard of others use it for a nitrous set-up?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts