Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of abuse and damage, I have finally got around to fabricating my replacement rear bumper. I am curious to see how many DP members have fabricated their own bumpers (or other parts). Might give myself or others some ideas. Show off your fabrication skills, lets see some pics!

I'll post some pics of my progress tomorrow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow. My truck gets loaded with a forklift every day, I built a bumper that sits below the chrome bumper that the forklifts hit before running into the chrome one. I also put a 1/4" steel plate in the bed to keep the 1500 - 2000 lb boxes from denting the bed floor ( no bed liners will not work for this / the spray on are too sticky and the plastic wouldnt last 6 months ). There is also a front bed guard to keep sliding boxes from denting the front of the bed and busting out the rear window. Yes it does add about 500 - 600 lbs but worth every lb. I did add a extra leaf between the top spring and the bottom pack to help compensate when hauling 2 tons in the back of a srw. SORRY SO LONG WINDED.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is how far I got tonight. Still in the Design/Fit-up phase....Coming along well I think. Pulled off the stock bumper and discovered just how flimsy they really are...

Jason: Great Idea with your bumper...might have saved the damage that happened to mine. Looking forward to looking at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lookin good so far. What do you plan on doing for coating it? Just paint?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
what is it you haul?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have narrowed it down to 3 Options for finishing:

Powder Coated White
Line-X White
Chrome Plated

I want the finish to be durable but look sharp as well for a long time, so I decided to use something other than paint.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Line-x would look great the color of your truck paint.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
don't forget to fab it so it is mounted to your trailer hitch. The hitch depends on that. Also, is the "step" on the bumper going to be deep enough? I know I like to have plenty for sure footing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The step will protrude out farther than the left and right side of the bumper and will have a curved face which will be tied in with some rolled flatbar, so it should be deep enough. I have been cutting patterns out of posterboard and playing with them as I go to see if I like the look/fit before I actually cut the plate. Under the step I planned on using a piece of square tubing with some nuts welded to it to recieve the 2 bolts from the hitch. (Similar to the welded togther frame that the stock bumper used) This tube will be hidden. I think that getting the rolled flatbar to fit properly will be the toughest part of the project.

For the license plate, I was thinking of building a box to be inset and ground flush with the back of the bumper where it is recessed, roll pan style. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was just dreaming of doing bumpers last night. I have a little fab skills and I want something that looks a little tougher than stock. Great job so far and keep us posted. Are yo going to tackle the front also?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Matty:

I do plan on tackling the front next, which will be a tougher design than the rear. I am really picky about front bumpers being too large. Just my taste, thats all. A friend of mine on the job is currently working on a front bumper for his rig in the style of the Road Armor bumpers, but just a less bulky version. I am waiting to see how his turns out so that I may get some ideas.

I am actually thinking of copying the patterns for all pieces that I cut to poster board templates and making them available to anyone who is interested. Would be very easy to assemble the parts if one could weld decent. They only fit togther one way due to all the angles.....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That would be pretty sweet. I would also like the front to not be too bulky but still tougher than it is now. I wasa ctually thinking of powder coating the front stock one just to get rid of the chrome but I want one that stops above the tow hooks and then maybe a better looking skid plate underneath. Send pictures of your buddies when he gets it done.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a couple shots of my friends. He has a bit of work left welding it out, adding support gussets, and especially grinding it smooth. This is for a 96 ford F250 though. He did a good job of keeping it straight and it will look great once ground and finished. I like it because it is much beefier than stock, but will not stick out that much. I'll post some more once complete and mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
bagofdimes;1564483; said:
I have narrowed it down to 3 Options for finishing:

Powder Coated White
Line-X White
Chrome Plated

I want the finish to be durable but look sharp as well for a long time, so I decided to use something other than paint.

Any suggestions?
I would go with the white Line-X, that would be the way to go, unless you like the bling look, then chrome might suit you better, but I think it would take away from the tuff look of it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
bagofdimes;1565598; said:
Here are a couple shots of my friends. He has a bit of work left welding it out, adding support gussets, and especially grinding it smooth. This is for a 96 ford F250 though. He did a good job of keeping it straight and it will look great once ground and finished. I like it because it is much beefier than stock, but will not stick out that much. I'll post some more once complete and mounted.
You weren't kidding about all the grinding he has to do...

What thickness of metal are you guys using for these?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am leaning toward the white Line-X. I agree that the chrome would take away some of the tough look after thinking about it. I might accent it with some black diamond plate pieces on top of the bumper and on the recessed step.

We are using 1/4" plate for the build. He is using a torch to cut his pieces. I am using a Metabo with 6" slicer wheels. Takes a bit longer to cut, but saves on touch up grinding. He is using a flux core wire feeder to weld his and I am using a tig rig, which explains why mine looks a bit cleaner.

I have attached some pictures of my progress this evening, which only consists of 3 pieces.:rolleyes: It was pretty tricky to get the corner looking proper and not awkward. The corner still needs a bit of trimming, but I want to wait until I finish the center step so I know how far up to trim the bottom.

What do you guys think of the corner? Does it look funny? I guess I am too hard on myself....

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
hemisareslow;1564461; said:
what is it you haul?
If you were asking me I haul plastic pellets. My dad and I have a reprocessing plant, (grinding/extruding). The boxes are called "gaylords" ( I know stupid name) any ways there about 4'X4'X4' and hold anywhere from 1000 to 2000 pounds net, I haul 2 at a time usually.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I forgot to add, the pictures are not up yet because its really cold and snowy. My truck is embarassingly dirty. I promise I'll get them this weekend.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Looks good. But 1/4" plate? That's going to be one HEAVY bumper. Should be plenty stout though.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts