Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struggleing with the fact that there are no well-known or recomended Allison surgeons in my area and I want to upgrade my trans.

My options are:

• Drive to Mike L. and have him do a III or IV (about 6 hours drive each way)
or
or
  • Get a Level V Suncoast or built ATS from the factory.
or
  • Trust/gamble on a local installer from the ATS or SC dealer's list.
What other options for built trannys shipped ready for R&R are out there?

This seems like a common enough problem that the market should address.

Any help/suggestions?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
There is not a ton of money to be made in this. The shipping is pricey, the warranty work is practically lost without testing the trans first like ATS and Suncoast do. It is not a great market for anyone to hop into. Merchant has the gonads to give it a shot, so we'll see what happens. Finding someone close that knows these trannies is a good first step. What area are you from?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
N. Cal. near Sacramento.

I have asked around to no avail.

Folks around here either have driven to Mike or ordered a Level V.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I would drive the 6 hours and have MikeL work his Magic. He knows his sheep :D

Blue has 40k plus hard miles on him and is still running strong and Casper's trans just rocks :ro)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I would pay Mike a visit. 6hr drive one way is kinda long but worth it considering no one close has installed one prior.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Set it up ahead of time. Drive on down late on a Thursday night so your waiting at Mike's door Friday morning. I'm sure Mike can have you driving back home Friday night.

·
Registered
593 Posts
yup mike is your man wouldn't let anyone else touch my truck

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I live in Sacramento. Mike's shop is the only place my tranny has been worked on.. 12 hours of driving is worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I live in the area and went to see Mike too. Isn't 6hrs of windshield time in your truck a treat? Hell, the more time I can log in that seat the happier I am. You'll be smiling so wide on the way home that you wont be able to wipe the **** from your dimples. I'll take it down there and back for you if youd like. PM me. I wont thrash on it I swear.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would drive the 6 hours and have MikeL work his Magic. He knows his sheep :D
hey kat speakin of sheep was that a sheep from the mcrat stables in the budweiser commercial durin the super bowl??? i couldnt help it but the first thing that poped in my head was Mike L. and Mcrat Stables :muahaha:

But back to the topic id take it to mike sounds like hes got the deal out there.:ro)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lt chip, If you decide not to drive down to mikes, I am having mine done at B&H transmissions in stockton. They are a suncoast dealer and do good work and stand behind it. (209) 464-1317 ask for Gabe. Mine should be done this week, cant wait.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Convinced the wife that a trip to Disneyland is in order.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Come on a 12 hour round trip is nothing. :grd:

I had a 22 hour round trip to see Joe at Suncoast and that's only because I was already half way there on my vacation in Myrtle Beach SC.

Family hardly missed me for a couple of days :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts