Diesel Place banner

Continue driving with balance rates ranging from 8-12?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Depends

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I had a interesting experience the other day with the truck. Since I'm getting ready to replace my injectors here very soon I decided to squeeze my radiator hose to see if I should replace the hoses while I did the cooling flush. In doing so I discovered that the hoses are completely fine however when I squeeze the upper hose on the right it opens the thermostats. Obviously in my opinion indicating that they need to be replaced. In doing so I did order thermostats and have got them in hand. And will be replacing them when I do the injectors. However what's peculiar is that when my temperature gauge is in the operating temperature zone of about 180 to 190 the torque app is saying it's about 30 to 40 degrees cooler than that. With my balance rates right now being catastrophically hi, my question is would there be less concerned for smoldering the pistonheads? Considering the truck is running so cool I would hope and pray that would deter some for their damages that could incur to the truck while still using it as a daily driver. I also found out that my radiator is fairly new and so I think that's also helping just cool the engine that much more efficiently. What's more, the cab actually gets really hot whenever I turn the heat on even in the winter with the truck running so cold. In reference to this previous winter we just had in the northwest. Seattle area. Just looking for opinions and insight on thoughts about smothered pistonheads as well as the chances of me damaging anything internally on the motor until I replace my injectors one week from today. Thanks for taking the time to read this I look forward to seeing your responses soon.

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody out there have any input at all.. wanting to use this forum as a resource.. knowledge is power.

·
Administrator
16,013 Posts
I would replace the Stats with OEM and try another live data scanner to verify balance rates and temps against the Torque data.
having access to a Tech II is a plus

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would replace the Stats with OEM and try another live data scanner to verify balance rates and temps against the Torque data.
having access to a Tech II is a plus

Dually, I discovered my torque app is indeed accurate. My thermostats, before replacement, we stuck open. Now gauge gets close to 210 f mark and torque tells me 198 or so.

·
Administrator
16,013 Posts
Dually, I discovered my torque app is indeed accurate. My thermostats, before replacement, we stuck open. Now gauge gets close to 210 f mark and torque tells me 198 or so.
Have you replaced those Thermostats with OEM or AC/Delco ?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
While you are replacing your thermostats, might want to consider replacing the CTS to assure you are getting the best reading you can whether gauge or Torque.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
64 Posts
The cluster gauge isn't accurate on the low end. Its calibrated for the 100F low mark in the gas clusters. Watch it when the motor is cold, it starts coming off the 160F mark when the motor is reaching 120F. At least thats what I'm seeing comparing it to my Edge display.

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cluster gauge isn't accurate on the low end. Its calibrated for the 100F low mark in the gas clusters. Watch it when the motor is cold, it starts coming off the 160F mark when the motor is reaching 120F. At least thats what I'm seeing comparing it to my Edge display.
That's what I'm seeing as well. Until it reaches actual operating temp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts