Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookin for an adapter to mate a cummins 5.9 to a gm trans(4l80e or turbo 400 not sure what im gonna use yet). its gonna go in my 86 1/2 ton4*4 with 6 inch lift. the wife wants to get rid of her s10 so i figured this would be good for her to drive:) (after the bugs are worked out):eek:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
are you sure a 4L80-E will handle the torque and power? You'll need a stand-alone trans computer if you use a 4L80-E I think... Suncoast sells one IIRC.

Ben

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am looking at the same conversion. I think I have given up on the Chevy diesel as a dependable truck. Sorry. I just bought a 5.9 cummins, and I have another available, if this conversion works.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
go to www.fordcummins.com

ya I know it says ford, but they do chevy conversions now too. Call them up on the phone. They should be able to get you what you need or point you towards it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let me make a suggestion to use a 47rh dodge trans. I bought mine from Dave Goerand in Iowa he gives lifetime warr on the triple disc converter and 100,000 on the trans. These transmissions are almost bullet proof. I love mine I put it in my 96 suburban as you can tell by my signature

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Many DODGE owners have swapped out there 47RH's(and RE's) for the 4L80E. You can get a bellhousing adapter off of one of the 3.9 cummins engines out of the FRITO vans with a turbo 400. You'll have to mount the engine slightly out of clocking since the bellhousing adapter out of the FRITO vans sat the engine in there ****eyed. And you can get a wiring harness and ECM out of a 91-93 6.2 or 6.5 and adapt in there to control the trans.

·
Registered
808 Posts
You can also try advance adapters, they make kits to bolt up different motors to trannys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts