Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 2002 Chevy Duramax/Allison and the block lower end cracked due to some extensive performance mods. He loves the allison trans and the truck. He can get a 5.9 cummins out of a truck that had a electrical fire in it. Engine not damaged. Is there a COST EFFECTIVE (resonably) way to put the cummins in the Duramax. He has mesured it and it will physically fit under the hood. Of course there are gonna be problems of motor mounts, radiator sitting too high and low, hoses etc. I know you could get a new wiring harness for the cummins but how would you ever hook it up to the Chevy computer or use the chevy computer for the trans and the Cummins computer for the engine but getting htem to talk to one another. I know transfer cases drive shafts could be a problem but am mainly thinking hte computer issue would be the big deal. Can it be done? Anyone know how. I have seen cummins in older chevys 80's and early 90's ttrucks but those are all mechanical injection pumps and no electronic transmissions. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
834 Posts
dude, you are talking about monster garage here...

I would take lot and lot of knowledge to get this thing done the way your describing it...:badidea:

I would not even think of doing that kinda of a project.

get another truck :D

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
its not monster garage...

It can be done..just need alot of parts and time and knowledge

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
money lots of money or is it brains oh he** I don't know. don't do it.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
This should be interesting , if he goes through with it let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
It'd be easier than the guy on here putting a D-Max in his Furd :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I though

I will pass along. Like I have said I have seen a few cummins put in place of 6.2'a and 6.5's. Supposedly not that hard, adapter plate for trans, supposedly painless wiring made a few adapters for wiring and down the road. Of course the 3 I have seen were all mechanical engines (ie mechanical ip's) so that is jsut a matter of linkage instead of the turbo computer shifting the trans etc etc. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think it would be nearly impossible to get the allison to communicate with the Cummins, you would have to make a custom computer to do this, I would get rid of the allison, and put in a manual. Then get a standalone computer for the cummins, its gonna be crazy trying to wire the truck so you dont have every light on the dash on.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would be a good thought

I must say I really think the cummins in the chevy 1 ton would be awsome. I am a die hard chevy fan as well but love the cummins engine. Wish they would offer the 8.3 cummins in the 6500 series truck I was looking at.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
ummm....don't the dodge boys already put allison's in there dodges?

Umm..doesn't the 1000 series go in other vehicles besides the 2500hd and 3500 series GM's? Last time i checked it came in a variety of vehicles..and I am pretty sure one of those varieties include a Cummins/Allison combo

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
My buddy has a 2002 Chevy Duramax/Allison and the block lower end cracked due to some extensive performance mods. He loves the allison trans and the truck. He can get a 5.9 cummins out of a truck that had a electrical fire in it. Engine not damaged. Is there a COST EFFECTIVE (resonably) way to put the cummins in the Duramax. He has mesured it and it will physically fit under the hood. Of course there are gonna be problems of motor mounts, radiator sitting too high and low, hoses etc. I know you could get a new wiring harness for the cummins but how would you ever hook it up to the Chevy computer or use the chevy computer for the trans and the Cummins computer for the engine but getting htem to talk to one another. I know transfer cases drive shafts could be a problem but am mainly thinking hte computer issue would be the big deal. Can it be done? Anyone know how. I have seen cummins in older chevys 80's and early 90's ttrucks but those are all mechanical injection pumps and no electronic transmissions. Thanks for the help
First thing he needs to do is take the old engine out....;)

It will be physically impossible to put a cummins IN a Duramax......:cool:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
just out of curiosity what performance mods did he have done to crack anything in the lower end....:confused: but to you question nobody makes any wiring kits or adaptors because there is no need to swap a cummins in a chevy anymore with the dmax. Everyone wanted to do it before because lack of power and reliability of the 6.5, so im sure hed be on his own.

-Rob-

·
Registered
10,516 Posts

Umm..doesn't the 1000 series go in other vehicles besides the 2500hd and 3500 series GM's? Last time i checked it came in a variety of vehicles..and I am pretty sure one of those varieties include a Cummins/Allison combo
You would need to get the TCM update from Allison to do this. As well as a stand alone Cummins Celect computer for the drive by wire throttle to input to the TCM

You will be less money in the long run to put a DMX back into it.

Also the Oilpan in the CTD will NOT clear a IFS chev unless it has been lifted at least 4"

If you could get the motor for free you would be into it for at least 5000.00 (rough guesstimate.)

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Allison bellhousing assembly will need to be replaced with the universal setup. Stand alone computers are available from Allison and can be programed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Most all newer school buses with the Cummins are running the 2000 Series trans and you could find hardware off of them I would think. Bell housing should be pretty easy, too. Get the harness and foot pedal out of a Dodge and she's almost done!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts

I thought I saw a 1000 in a bus or maybe an RV, I can't remember, but I think your right.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
have fun getting the IPC to read all the data from the Cummins correctly!

What year is the Cummins engine?

also wouldnt the weight of the cummins max out the front GAWR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts