Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay for those of you with CUCVs (6.2L/TH400/4.56 gears/235-85r16 tires) what have you done to make your vehicles drivable on the street/highway. Mine winds out pretty high on the highway. I know what can be done: swap to higher gear, get overdrive tranny, put on bigger tires. But I want to know what have ya'll done that has worked for you.
Cheapest seems to do tires. Will a 34" tire be enough to help? I really don't want to change gears if I don't have to. I use this to pull my Jeep and trailer. Tranny swap seems aweful expensive. But I'm open to know what has worked for all ya'll.

Truck

·
Registered
136 Posts
a stock CUCV M1009 came with 3.08 gears...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Except mine is not a 1009 it is a 1035 maintanance truck w/ PTO driven 12KW generator and air compressor.

Truck

·
Registered
687 Posts
You already have about the largest diameter tires that will fit. Your not going to gain much going to a 34" tire.

You could go with a gear vendors OD

You could go with a 4L80 swap

You could go with changing rear axles over to 3.08's (likely your best bet)

Check out some 4x4 forums and list your axles for sale. Lots of guys out there with 3.08's looking for 4.56's. Arrange for a swap.

·
Registered
136 Posts
oo right then

·
Registered
136 Posts
i was responding to truck0590's statement that his was a 1035 maitanence truck rather than a 1009...

left?? RELAX

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sorry, just that when you directly follow my post and type what sounds like a sarcastic : Oooohhh right then

I wasn't sure what to think.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
If gear swap and trans swap is out of the question I would suggest selling the vehicle and get what you really need. Larger diameter tires may help some.

·
Registered
136 Posts
hahaha i see that now

out of curiousity what axles does that have?? im guessing its similar to a 1028 ambulance w/ a 14 bolt

·
Registered
687 Posts
out of curiousity what axles does that have?? im guessing its similar to a 1028 ambulance w/ a 14 bolt
See, you did it again.... :(

Who are you asking this question to? Looks like your asking me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
LAWNBOY:

are you serious??

i think its pretty obvious who the question was directed at, unless that is i was mistaken when i read the first original post, the author who doesnt happen to be you, also there is NO place where it states that you have an 1035 is there? so if you dont have one i dont know how that question could ever possibly be directed at you
:chillpill

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EAsy fellas,
DP, I didn't say tranny & gears were out of the question, I just want to do this as inexpensively as possible, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money experimenting to find what I'm looking for. I thought some folks on here might have run into similar issues as these CUCVs have been selling like crazy over the last 2-3 years. Other then what I describe the rest of the truck is what I need. The PTO driven generator can run power tools, and even my welder. The air compressor, can run all my air tools and fill tires. The huge vise on the back also helps with field maintaince. The compartments in the utility box carry all my tools and spare parts. This is the perfect tow rig for taking my Scrambler on the trail. The only other thing that would make this perfect is being a crew cab, to fit the whole family in. But I guess you can't have everything. Sorry for the diatrib, but I probably should have explained most of this up front as I am new here.

Wyliek, Yes like the M1028 this has the D60 up front and 14 Bolt rear. 4.56 gears, Detriot locker front & rear. Has the TH400 tranny with NP 205 transfer (thus the PTO).

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.

Truck

·
Registered
735 Posts
Your best bet is to toss a set of gears in.... Depending on what you plan to do with it (towing for instance) I would go with either 3.73 or 4.10.

·
Registered
687 Posts
LAWNBOY:

are you serious??

i think its pretty obvious who the question was directed at, unless that is i was mistaken when i read the first original post, the author who doesnt happen to be you, also there is NO place where it states that you have an 1035 is there? so if you dont have one i dont know how that question could ever possibly be directed at you
:chillpill
Well, yes, I was serious. Your replying to me: "hahaha i see that now" .

Then with nothing more than a space after that, you ask: "out of curiousity what axles does that have?? im guessing its similar to a 1028 ambulance w/ a 14 bolt"

I took this as you questioning what MY truck has for a rear axle. (which, yes it does have an axle similar to a 14 bolt).

I'm not harping on you, just that your posts leave too much to decipher. Each consecutive post is designed to flow from the previous. This is why you use the QUOTE button if you want to answer a PREVIOUS posters question.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Every Blazer I've seen has 3.73's. Pickups are 1 tons chassis and have 4.56's. I haven't heard of any other gears in the 84/85 model chev trucks.

I left the military numbers out on purpose.

·
Registered
735 Posts
A good deal of the civillian blazers were 3.08's as were most half ton pickups.

The Military blazers were all 3.08, and the pickups/chassis trucks were all 4.56

Why they didnt put 3.73's or something in the blazers is beyond me...

·
Registered
79 Posts
What would the 4.56 geared truck cruise like with the nv4500 and 35-37 inch tires? How about a nv4500 and 4.10 with a 235-85-16 tire? I'm building two different 68-72 trucks with parts from the ton military diesels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A good deal of the civillian blazers were 3.08's as were most half ton pickups.

The Military blazers were all 3.08, and the pickups/chassis trucks were all 4.56

Why they didnt put 3.73's or something in the blazers is beyond me...
Civillian truck and blazer came with many different gears. Mine are not military and both (83' K5 Jimmy and 86' 1Ton CrewCab 4x4) came with 3.73's. I had a 3/4 2wd camper special with 3.42 I think

So lower gearing options are available.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts