Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using the cruise control when a police officer came up behind me & I may have been cruising' over the speed limit. Instead of hitting the brake pedal, I turned off the CC at the switch on the turn signal assembly. The good thing is the officer went around me but the bad thing, the CC quit working. I did an extensive search regarding this issue and I have checked all fuses, in the cab & under the hood. I have checked all the brake lights and they are all in good working order. I also have checked the brake switch and tried lifting the brake pedal and tapping the brake pedal, nothing works. Besides changing the turn signal switch, does anyone have any input on what I'm missing here??? Appreciate all suggestions at this point.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
I was using the cruise control when a police officer came up behind me & I may have been cruising' over the speed limit. Instead of hitting the brake pedal, I turned off the CC at the switch on the turn signal assembly. The good thing is the officer went around me but the bad thing, the CC quit working. I did an extensive search regarding this issue and I have checked all fuses, in the cab & under the hood. I have checked all the brake lights and they are all in good working order. I also have checked the brake switch and tried lifting the brake pedal and tapping the brake pedal, nothing works. Besides changing the turn signal switch, does anyone have any input on what I'm missing here??? Appreciate all suggestions at this point.
Checked for any codes?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No CEL & no codes.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
I would lean on a faulty Multi-function switch as the issue. I would open up the column and inspect the wires for rub thru wire insulation, broken/corroded wire, etc.
Double-check the fuse also, there have been some instances of the fuse bending the connectors out just enough not to make contact with the fuse

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. Appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I had the exact same scenario, except for the cop thing, and it ended up being the brake switch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced the brake light switch, replaced the turn signal switch, re-checked all fuses, checked all brake lights, have inspected all wiring within the steering column and still no cruise control. Is there by chance a cruise control relay somewhere? It might have been cheaper to get the ticket than to have turned off the cruise with the on/off switch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to replace the aftermarket brake light switch with an AC Delco switch since members have said that aftermarket electrical parts have caused "gremlins". No luck, the CC still did not work. Well, deciding that I had done as much as I could without any luck, I decided to drive to my mechanics shop the next morning & let him have a shot at fixing the issue. On the way I decided to try the CC again and low and behold, it worked. What a great surprise! I just hope that I don't start experiencing an intermittent problem that other members have experienced with their CC. Appreciate all the input from the members that replied to this issue. Have a good one.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Decided to replace the aftermarket brake light switch with an AC Delco switch since members have said that aftermarket electrical parts have caused "gremlins". No luck, the CC still did not work. Well, deciding that I had done as much as I could without any luck, I decided to drive to my mechanics shop the next morning & let him have a shot at fixing the issue. On the way I decided to try the CC again and low and behold, it worked. What a great surprise! I just hope that I don't start experiencing an intermittent problem that other members have experienced with their CC. Appreciate all the input from the members that replied to this issue. Have a good one.
Glad the issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!
(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts