Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cruise in my Burb will not operate above ~70km/hr. It seems to work below that about half of the time. Any suggestions? I just changed my optic sensor to get rid of at DTC 17, but the cruise control operated the same before the swap.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
The PMD can cause cruise controll problems.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran the engine with a different PMD and it didn't make any difference.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
No codes? Maybe a wiring problem with the cruise control itself in the column maybe. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
does it work at all above 70? Or does it just kick out after you set it? If it is kicking out after you set it at 70 & above, I would guess a lose wire or brake switch. Some of these have an adjustable brake light switch. I've never figured out why you needed adjustment in an in off switch. After 70 the whole there is more vibration & you can loose connection easier

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just doesn't work at all above 70km/hr. If I push the set or resume button, I can hear static in the radio that tells me that the switch is working just no CC. Before I changed the optic, I could set it below 70 and then use the accel button to get it above 70. This only worked for a short time before the optic crapped out and threw a code 17 which kicked the CC out.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Static in radio sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Sounds like time for a peek-a-boo at all the major electrical connections first. Engine grounds, battery cables, and the like, then try them little pesky skinny wires that go everywhere.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Did you ever get the problem resolved?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still haven't solved the problem. I cleaned all of the grounds I could find, and even made one to ground the hood. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Pull the cover off the cruise stepper motor under the hood on the drivers side firewall. You will need to remove 4 #15 torx screws then the cover just pulls off toward you.

Inspect the condition of the worm hear and the main gear. Rotate the main gear and see if it is capable of pulling the throttle WOT.

Let me know your results and take some pics if you can, specifically of the worm gear and the main gear.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Pull the cover off the cruise stepper motor under the hood on the drivers side firewall. You will need to remove 4 #15 torx screws then the cover just pulls off toward you.

Inspect the condition of the worm hear and the main gear. Rotate the main gear and see if it is capable of pulling the throttle WOT.

Let me know your results and take some pics if you can, specifically of the worm gear and the main gear.
Electronic 6.5's don't have that style cruise, there drive by wire and the cruise is done through the ECM. I still think your problems are related to your 5068 pump and the chip you got to work with it.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Have you checked the circuits to your brake lights? Usually they are in the cc cutout - a frayed wire somewhere that vibrates with increased speed?

I hate intermittent electricals - so much fun to find.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Sorry I didn't look at they year.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Sorry I didn't look at they year.
No biggie, the 6.5 aint as low tech as some make it out to be. But it aint a Dmax either. I think all of his problems goes back to the fact that somebodyy has replaced chips and ECM's and IP's in this Sub. He's been working on various electronic fuel problems for a while now.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
On mine, Rodney replaced the brake light switch with one he had on hand. It was locking up the torque converter. He was busy & didn't expound on exactly how it all tied together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts