Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about turbo boost while using cruise control. When accelerating not on cruise, my boost is up to about 8 lbs with occasional spikes up to about 12. This seems normal from what I've read. While cruising at speed, off cruise, I get boost of a few lbs and it varies by throttle. When on cruise, by boost Gradually drops to zero, or close to it, and the tranny is more likely to drop down a gear than to spike the boost. Is this normal? it never has boost problems except on cruise. I was wondering if this was some fuel saving measure built in by gm.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Boost is more measurable under a load. When the cruise control reaches its set speed there is very little load on flat ground. A downshift while in CC will spike the boost a little and return to zero since it gets interpreted as a momentary load increase. I think you may be confusing boost operation in a diesel with manifold pressure in a gasser. They are not the same. But the short answer to your question is, yes. That appears to be normal operation. ~FH

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I figured it was normal, but on a 16 year old truck that has been flooded twice, you never know.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
when using cc towing our r/v trailer boost really goes up when going up a hill. so much so that I have to take it off cc and use the foot, But that's on a longer steeper hill than normal. Unloaded it's no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.