Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 5.5 TD, got my two tank system working and tried to run 50/50 blend of heated waste veggie oil. Oil had been filtered to 5 micron & run through 10 micron on board filter. Died after about 30 seconds once it bled from diesel to oil. Have been trying to purge system for 2 hours but no luck. Here's what I did so far:

- Main fuel filter is clean (runb oil through aux filter only). Have clean fuel to IP. Have sight glass just before IP so I know it is clear.

- removed line to IP. verified lift pump is OK

- removed incoming filter on ip. was cloudy and had small soapy floaters in it. cleaned filter with air

- cracked 3 injector lines. cranked forever. nothing being pushed through lines.

- Pulled fuel solenoid. Cloudy but not bad underneath. Removed plunger to eliminate it as problem.

- pulled return line. Nothing being sent back to tank

- double checked PMD with known good spare

Crap! I had it running great and couldn't leave well enough alone. Are there any suggestions for something else to try short of pulling the cover off the IP??? My diesel manual says to keep cranking until fuel comes out of injector lines but I sure thought I'd see something by now.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Try running an extra dose of fuel conditioner with straight #2 diesel fuel. I'm personally not a big fan of this "veggie" thing. These electonic IP's can be very tempermental.
Next year coast to coast all diesel fuel on the street is going to be "ultra low sulfer". This stuff will kill any and all weak DS4 IP's if your not running with fuel conditioner.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Fuel going into pump and nothing coming out of return sounds like a $eized pump.

6.5L Electronic is not a good choice to be burning anything but diesel.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Fuel going into pump and nothing coming out of return sounds like a $eized pump.

6.5L Electronic is not a good choice to be burning anything but diesel.
How about the mechanical pumps. Do they do ok, or should something different be used?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
How hot was the veggie going in and what is the ambient temp there?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

The veggie was about 125 deg, which I know is on the low cold end. I thought since it was a 50/50 blend it might be OK. I was just going to switch it until I saw color at the Ip and thenAmbient is about 40.

After cranking and blowing out lines last night and this morning I can get it to cough and stop just shy of catching. That gives me hope that the IP isn't hosed but I'm still puzzled why there is't anything more than a few drops coming out of the open injector lines.

Keeping my fingers crossed and cranking the day away.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
My guess would be that the fuel is too thick. BTW is your PMD off the pump since you are running heated fuel thru it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the PMD was removed before I started experimenting. It is on a heat sink on the driver's side wall and hasn't given me a bit of trouble since I moved it.

She caught once and ran for a short while and I I thought I had her fixed but then it died again and I can no longer get her to cough. I'm recharging the batteries and will have a go at it again tonight. So far my only plan of attack is to open the injector lines and hope to get a steady stream of diesel. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

One other thing- when I crank I get much closer to starting (more coughing) with at least one injector open than with all of them closed. Trapped air in injector lines?

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
One other thing- when I crank I get much closer to starting (more coughing) with at least one injector open than with all of them closed. Trapped air in injector lines?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Maybe that's your problem rather than my too thick fuel theory.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Call me and I'll walk you through this.

I just got done with the same problem and wrote a huge post which got lost when I hit the post key. I don't have time to re-post it all so here is the condensed version. Basically you need to make sure your batteries are strong and that your starter is not running slow. My bet is that if your injectors are cracked and you are not getting fuel then you have one or two problems that are very likely. First you compressed air into the fuel system with your lift pump pushing while sucking air. You need to crank in three second bursts with rests after 5 tries. It may take up to 30 minutes to get fuel if you are air locked with compressed air. 2 your batteries are low and or your starter is weak. If you don't have enough revolutions the ecm will not send fuel and you won't start. Charge your batteries, change your weak starter and get a new one not a reman. If you want some ideas for more heat e-mail me or post a diagram of your sytem and I will make some reccomendations to improve heat. You need dry, clean, warm fuel or that Stanadyne IP will break. I believe you won't have any problems otherwise, and ther is no need to blend if you ar hot enough.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Just FYI:

There are quite a few 6.5 EFI's running on www.greasecar.com systems. I know this because we sell the FSD cooler setup to these guys.

Also, the DS pump does not need to have lines cracked to fire. It will push through just fine provided you have good fuel supply to it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the support everyone. I am sweating it out until tonight when I can give it another shot. The Haynes diesel manual said to give it 15 second spurts so I have been cranking the bejeesus out of it. I'll try the short bursts. I've had it on a charger and block heater all day and the batteries and starter are new.

It's also good to hear from the oil burners. After my 30 seconds of glory and then 12 hours of pain I was beginning to wonder if it was worth it, plus what I am going to do with the 500 gallons of oil I've collected!

Anybody near Dayton need oil? Even when I get it running I have more than I need for a while.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
might want to pop out the encoder for cleaning or a swap.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Startup

Hi Sorry to read your storry. First to restart pressurize you tank 3psi max true the fillup hole and open the other end at the filter until the fuel come or bleed at the lift pump for the mecanical pump that way you save lot of cranking time.

The first time you put bio mix into the tank it always remove the gum and varnish on all the internal part and block the filter or even the tank output somtime but after the shCensored is gone you should be o.k. :ro)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
My guess is the encoder as DP said. It's a '94, have you checked the ALDL for a DTC?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried more versions of cleaning and purging, no luck. Pulled top off of IP and found what looks like thick egg-drop soup floating in the cavity. Sucked it all out and put in straight Diesel-911. Repeated purging/cranking and nothing to injectors. Pulled manifold and opened top injector hoses at the pump and still no go.

Code lamp was burned out so there may be some oldies stored in there as well:

DTC 13 - Engine Shutoff Solenoid Circuit Fault
DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error
DTC 19 - Crankshaft Position Reference Error

DTC 28 - Transmission Range Pressure Switch Circuit
DTC 29 - Glow Plug Relay Fault

DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short)
DTC 36 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long)

DTC 46 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Circuit Fault
DTC 62 - Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit Low
DTC 88 - ??? Dumba55 owner fault?

The shutoff solendoid (I asume at the opening of the IP) currently doesn't have its' plunger installed. The turbo was not all conencted the last times I tried to fire the pump. I assume that takes care of a few of the codes.

I started pulling the pump but won't finish it tonight. Anythign else i should look for this weekend?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Snot in IP; Trouble codes; IP swap Q's

I did not get the pump removed completely last night but I thoroughly cleaned the top cavity of the thick snot and opened the injector lines at the back of the IP. My theory is some kind of organic growth loosened by the veg oil - there is no way this snot could have gotten past either filter.

Now I have no pump activity whatsoever. My trouble codes are:

DTC 13 - Engine Shutoff Solenoid Circuit Fault
DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error
DTC 19 - Crankshaft Position Reference Error

DTC 28 - Transmission Range Pressure Switch Circuit
DTC 29 - Glow Plug Relay Fault

DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short)
DTC 36 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long)

DTC 46 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Circuit Fault
DTC 62 - Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit Low
DTC 88 - ??? Dumba55 owner fault?

Is there anything that looks like it would be something other than the encoder?

Mine is a 94 6.5 TD. There is a local 97 that is being parted out. I have read from other posts that some of the 94's were different. Does anyone know if the internal parts will swap over? Is there a vin cutoff for the two types of pumps? I won't know the pump part number until I get it pulled but if I can secure a replacement it would help get the beast back on the road faster.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts