Diesel Place banner

Cross breading?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  keith_2500hd 
#1 ·
Hey have any of you heard of, or done any cross breading between the newer motors and our lb7's for any reason mostly performance. Didn't know if you could do this with these diesels like you could with some of the old gas motors to get more hp's for cheap.

#2 ·
There is a lot of differences between the gnerations. LB&/LLY are closer together then say LLY/LB7 to the LBZ/LMM's but in no way could any transplant/engine swap be considered cheap hp.

Between different ECM's, some bellhousings, tranny cooler lines, 5 (lb7/lly) and 6 (lbz/lmm) speed ally's, different injectors, wiring harnesses and a load of other things im forgetting to mention. It would be an expensive swap unless you had an entire doner and wanted to make the retrofit work.

IMO the different stock generations to me are different levels of strength and durability. "Cheap" HP is easy to find in any duramax, making it reliable is expensive.

#3 ·
Well i read somewhere that someone put an injector pump off a lbz on a lb7 just wondered if that person was full of bs or onto something?

#4 ·
the lbz has a more aggressive cp3

#5 ·
So does it fit without any moding?

#7 ·
rickdlance swapped LLY heads on his LBY, can't do with 2001/2 only 2003+ because of Computer electronics stuff. saw write up on conversion while back. pretty much engine components go back and forth, just improvements for power with age.

#9 ·
So a LBZ Block with LB7 pistons and rods cause I heard they are better, with LLY heads just to get away from the infamous LB7 injectors with the LBZ injector pump?

#11 ·
But I was told the LB7 pistons and rods have been some of the better ones so far. Correct me if I'm wrong. So this is the stuff that I wanted to know about. Just taking the things that work the best on one motor and adding things that work well on other motors and makin a hybrid/ or cross breading like I like to call it. So we are at a LBZ short block with LLY heads to get rid of the LB7 injectors LBZ pump.... What about turbos? I know the computer wont like the vnt but what about the others? Is there any differance in psi from one to another or are they about the same? I just spoke to a buddy earlier and said he knows of a motor that is bits and pieces of this and that but he didn't tell me any details but said we are on the right track.

#12 ·
No the lbz rods are a little stronger too, and you would want to use a lbz pump. If you can make lly heads work then that would be ideal you would have to use your lb7 turbo or some kind of aftermarket one. Fleece is working on getting a vvt turbo to work on the lb7s but I dont think they've really tried yet

#14 ·
If LLY heads are used on an LB7, does one use the FICM from an LLy I presume? What else, besides wiring the injectors up, fuel return lines, fuel distribution block, etc..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.