Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck makes a chirping (cricket) noise under load at exactly 1300 rpm. I believe it is the tensioner. Based on the index marks I am at the bottom end of the tollerance on the tensioner. I am at 55K and 5 years old now and my belt looks good. My questions: 1) Could the noise be something else? 2) Should I replace the belt even though it looks good? 3) Do I need to remve the fan shroud to replace the tensioner? 4) Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy a tensioner?

Thanks,

·
Registered
717 Posts
Cheap easy way to determine if the belt is on the way out.

Take one of the extremely cheap hotel bars of unused soap straight out of the package. With the truck running, and being extremely careful, take the dry bar of soap and let it rub on the belt. Do both sides of the belt.

Drive and check. If the chirp goes away, replace the belt as it is glazed and the noise will come back.

If chirp is still present, keep looking.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the tensioner tonight because it was jumping real bad. Didn't fix it. Going to do the belt and pullies soon. It only took an hour, but what a pain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Many are fighting this issue with no real conclusion as to it's cause or how to fix it. Some have had their power steering bracket changed and fixed the problem, others a pulley or two, etc. Mine is doing it and is killing me slowly. I've changed my belt to a gator back and no dice. I don't care to spend a fortune trying to figure out Chevys issue. Too many trucks doing the same thing to be a coincidence. I asked my stealer about the issue and they say they never heard of such a problem. Service counter guys says his does it and he changed his pullies and still has the chirp but he says it's because he didn't change his belt when he changed the pullies, Whatever!!!

Anyway, Good luck on fixing it, I'll likely go after it someday but I have another car I drive so it barely moves so it's only a pain once in a while.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issue resolved. It was the exhaust bracket on the passenger side of the motor.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cricket noise resolved

I have had a chirping noise at 1300 rpms since November. After battling this noise for several months and replacing the tensioner, idlers and belt my noise turned out to be the exhaust bracket on the passenger side of the motor. Hope this helps you all find your noise.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What about it? Was it loose, broken, misaligned, etc? What did you do to remedy the problem?
It was loose. It was tightned to fix the problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good job finding and fixing the problem. I have an "07" also but no chirp yet. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had a chirping noise at 1300 rpms since November. After battling this noise for several months and replacing the tensioner, idlers and belt my noise turned out to be the exhaust bracket on the passenger side of the motor. Hope this helps you all find your noise.
Mine is doing the exact same thing. What do you mean by exhaust bracket? Do you have a pic or a description of it? Thanks in advance for finding the problem that even GM can't seem to fix.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's back. Digging in more but I know I am in the right area. Will keep you posted

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
did you ever figure the noise out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just went through this exact same thing. I would tighten the exhaust clamp holding the downpipe to the exhaust and the noise would stop. A couple weeks later the noise was back. Went through this several more times until I bit the bullet and installed a MBRP turbo back exhaust with downpipe and problem is gone. I went with a 4in and it is perfect. The sound is not overbearing and NO DRONE at all.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
What kind of altenator do you have on your truck? IIRC for the LBZ and newer GM went to a clutch pulley type of altenator to resolve a chirping problem similar to what you describe. Is your altenator stock or has it been replaced?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of altenator do you have on your truck? IIRC for the LBZ and newer GM went to a clutch pulley type of altenator to resolve a chirping problem similar to what you describe. Is your altenator stock or has it been replaced?
It is stock. I was thinking it may be the alternator. I'll pm you for more details. I can't find it and it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
guess Mine will never make noise, was under there checking it out and noticed that the bracket on the rear of the right manifold,suppose to be attached to the head pipe. was completely broken off. not sure how important it is but its on My list of parts to bebought soon

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too have a cricket like chirping that starts around 1300-1500 rpm. Probably should have checked that downpipe bolt for tight when I installed my exhaust, but it looked fine. I thought the noise might have been a stepper motor, so I pulled the fuse for the gauges, but it still made it. I have a spare, fairly new 145A alternator I could swap into it.
Its been driving me nuts since I got the truck

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
leetgluu let us know because no one can find it. I really don't want to replace my exhaust

1 - 20 of 30 Posts