Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the black plastic cover? with 6.6L and fake tread plate on it actually do anything?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Helps keep dirt out of the turbo would be my guess.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Has anyone noticed much more of a whistle by changing this to a straight pipe? Why, if you didn't mind the turbo noise, would you want to disrupt air flow like this?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
It's called a resonator, but it is NOT a NOISE device. It supposedly prevents a cyclic wave in the turbo compressor intake that can cause surging (boost surging not engine surging). IT WILL NOT MAKE THE TURBO LOUDER. Many have taken it off and plugged the hole to find no noticable change in sound or performance (most put it back on.) It does not restrict flow, it cleans up the engine compartment cosmetically and performs an engineered function that made GM mold them and fit them on the engines. If they're cutting corners by not putting on underhood lights, do you think this would still be there if it didn't have a good purpose?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
under hood light who ever wanted to ditch them is an big dummy

·
Banned
3,141 Posts
I was able to sit a cold one on top of it while changing the tstats, so for me it is more of a "Cold Spot". ):h

Actually I'm glad they left the underhood light off since I do most of my work inside or during daylight. For emergencies I have one of the "million" lumes flashlights, BAM :eek: ! JJ :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Isn't there a silencer ring inside of the turbo housing use to quite the whine?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
There's one in the Dodges - not in my LB7 and none that I'm aware of in the LLY/LBZ.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Dodges have them but they dont rally change anything when you take them out

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
its a warm air accumulator is my thought
i had no choice with the first afe kit
the turbo was louder but i also put a banks wg on that same day so not sure where it came from

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I read it was a silencer or resonator. Its supposed to quiet the air entering the engine....Mine's been long gone for some time now. Afterall, who wants a LOUD intake where there's more turbo noice?????

And I noticed absolutely no difference either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts