Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I tried to explain this whine awhile back but most people just said its normal. I have been in hundreds of Duramax's and none sounded like this. I bought this truck with the sound and have put on about 30k miles since. It builds boost just fine and the vains cycle as they should. Everything about it works just fine, but its just the high pitch noise that drives me.

I am curious as to if anyone else has ever had this problem or if people could suggest where to look. I am going to pull the intake off this weekend and check the compressor shaft for play. While it is off I am going to look for leaks, although a leak to make this high pitch of a whistle would have to be pretty small.

Here is a link to the audio with the turbo brake on. You can hear it change pitch as the vains move.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hnuxx2auak25842

Let me know what you think,

Thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is called Memo, I forgot to change the name.

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does your truck have an egr blocker plate? Sounds like exhaust leaking by it making high pitched noise like squealing air out a balloon. A blocker plate puts the flanges at an angular misalignment so they can be tricky to seal up. Some permatex ultra black does wonders.

I can't believe you have put up with that sound for 30k miles! :eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine made a similar sound although mine wasnt constant with boost. It would sound normal, then high pitched, then normal again.

Mine was just as clone said, a loose EGR blocker plate (the nuts were still tight just barely leaking out). I took it out, spread some gasket maker on it, waited 10 mins, put back together and whine was gone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you have an after market radio? A bad ground can sound just like a turbo whine!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
^I agree. Try turning off the radio to see if it goes away. Sounds really similar to alternator whine.

·
Registered
795 Posts
sounds like an intake leak check to make sure they are all tight

·
Registered
795 Posts
Im also coming up to edmonton to do a job next week maybe i could have a look at it with u to help find the problem

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,288 Posts
I am with the guys here. check for EGR blocker plate, intake/boost leak, alternator bearing could be dry. One thing i could suggest is one of the exhaust bellows could be split either on up pipe or the egr part.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help, I did put a blocker plate in, however it was making that noise before I did that. I do however think I remember it being a bit dirty in and around there, so maybe it was leaking this whole time.

It was making the whine well before the aftermarket stereo as well, and it does not change loudness depending on if the stereo is on or off. I typically have it on and turned up to drown out the whine.

I will get some gasket maker and go to town on the egr blocker, I remember I had a pain of a time trying to split the two sides. When i get a bit of time I was thinking about using efi live to command the vains closed and then have a buddy load up the engine to build some boost and see if I cant tell. I tried looking myself with just the high idle on but its virtually impossible to tell. Its such high pitched that you just cant pin point its location. When I am in the truck though it does sound like its right where the downpipe is.

Thanks for all your help guys

DZZ71 - I appreciate the offer, if I cant figure it out maybe I will take you up on it. I have just been so busy with work myself lately that I have just been putting up with it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I spent a hour on it today, made myself a good testing tune with efi live (1300 rpm idle with the vains 100 percent closed to build some boost). I did notice the egr blocker plate was leaking slowly, however that was not causing the noise. I took off the intake horn and the turbo shaft had no axial movement but it did have a bit of up and down (vertical) movement with no horizontal movement. The compressor fins looked good other than very minor wear (the truck has 200k miles on it).

Does anyone have the spec on turbo shaft play? I did notice that when I created some vaccumm on the intake the whistle stopped. Anyways I uploaded a video of it. Its looking like it is turning out to be the turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts