Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I was driving down the interstate 95 the other nite just got up to 72 mph and set the cruise and about two miles later start to hit a very slight grade change in hwy. and the tranny shifts from 5 gear to 3rd gear and limps the truck. This symptom happened two more times and then I stopped using cruise completly. The truck also will do this if I mash the pedal to pass another car.

To give you a little history of my truck 02 cc with banks six gun,4" exhaust, 265 tires, 98,000 miles. power level setting never ran above 3.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Sounds like a tranny limp.
SES light?
What codes?
Do a search for "I limped it".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy downshifts ( update)

Hey fellas, I do have banks six gun level 3 setting when this happened originally but it will now drop from 5th gear from 3rd even when I am not in cruise control and just trying to pass another car. I also turned off the banks completely, still to no avail.

I dropped the truck off a Cox chevy in Bradenton Fl. this morning and a hour later a tech called me to ask what limp mode was! I told him what it was and another hour later they called to tell me that their were no tranny codes thrown which I knew already because I have a scanner, then they proceded to tell me they could not properly diagnoses because the banks interferes with the stock program which is bs because I shut if off before I dropped it off ! By the way I bought this truck from a chevy dealer in ny where I live with the banks in the truck already!

Any suggestions appreciated I only have 1,500 miles left on ext. warranty and the trip to NY will eat most of these.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The Banks will not mess with the stock program. Also if you limped the trans you will get an 0700 and I think a 0735 code. if it was a fuel filter it will be a 1093 code. Is it dropping to 3rd and staying until you turn the truck off then on again, or is the truck dropping to 2000rpms and going no higher until you turn the truck off and then on again. If it is the trans do not go stock again. go to atleast a shift kit and torque converter upgrade. good luck. BTW the dealer does not deserve to pay for a trans with the warranty if it was limped due to the six gun. Steve

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I wonder if the Alli learned the programming of the banks of level 3. It figures it is creating so much power it need to get OUT of overdrive and back into stronger gears as soon as possible.
I know it learns your driving...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I had the same problem, I shifted to Neutral and back to drive and all was OK. I think this might be called a ZING? I inquired about this same issue before, and I even removed the Superchips, so I know it was not the programmer, I never found out what it was other than someone said it might be a ZING.

I will be watching this post, incase someone might know. Mine has not done it since, but I have not really tried to duplicate it. I was not floored when I was passing a car when mine did it, so it really was not working hard.

Don't know, wish I could help more, but just to let you know I had the SAME thing, misery loves company.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crazy downshifts

At first I had a fuel issue (low rail pressure ) water in filter, changed but when ever I try to pass somebody it limps and drops to 3rd requiring the key to be shut off to restore it to normal. Like I said this truck came from chevy used with banks six gun they told me not to run it no higher than the 3rd setting and if I had any problems to bring it right back to them I did not anticipate having any issues so thats why I ran it to fl. Being they sold this truck to me with the tuner they should fix it .......

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey boys, My trany had the same problem to but i was running 500 hrs.
I went to a trany guy and he said that I was probably walking trough the torck converter, meaning that it wasnt getting enough oil between the disks.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
it may take a while to limp the tranny the first time. after that it gets easier and easier. that said, it SHOULDNT happen when you set it back to stock. sounds like its limping to me though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
teamster;1602577; said:
At first I had a fuel issue (low rail pressure ) water in filter, changed but when ever I try to pass somebody it limps and drops to 3rd requiring the key to be shut off to restore it to normal. Like I said this truck came from chevy used with banks six gun they told me not to run it no higher than the 3rd setting and if I had any problems to bring it right back to them I did not anticipate having any issues so thats why I ran it to fl. Being they sold this truck to me with the tuner they should fix it .......
It sounds more like a fuel issue to me. I would start with a new fuel filter. I have had the exact same thing happen you describe when I throw a po87 code when I turn my PPE all the way up. I think if you limped the tranny you would of heard a loud bang when it limped. Not 100% sure on the loud bang as I have never limped the tranny but that is the way I have heard other people describe it. Either way I would get my truck away from that dealer if he had to call you to see what "limped" meant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts