Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new owner, but not new to construction equipment, I have a question about diesel fuel. I have only filled up once (citco) where the fuel smelled "normal" and was green. At pilot and sunoco, it looks clear and literally smells crappy--like sewage!! What gives? The red stuff at the job always smeels "good" like I think diesel should. The truck does not run any different with fuel from the three places mentioned above. I only got 2,500 miles and am just trying to find a "regular" fill up spot--without using the red stuff at the job--course it is much cheaper! LOL! I have read that BP/Amoco is the good stuff, but it is really out of the way. Is my sniffer bad, or has anyone else noticed this bad smelling fuel?

·
Banned
394 Posts
i use red also because its cheap

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Buy your fuel from a high volume station. In most cases this will be a truck stop. It will be one of the worst days of your life if you get caught running off road (red) diesel. Later! Frank

·
Registered
132 Posts
What Frank said-------------------Later---Phil

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't use red, just comparing smell, the red I know is fresh cause we use so much of it. The crap I buy is from a pilot right off the main highway, but not the same tanks as the big rigs use, I went back there one day to try and fuel up and everyone looked at me like I was nuts bein back there with my little truck! Guy at works says to use this pffp stuff!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Several weeks ago the DOT was doing spot checks (particularly looking for pickup trucks, farm type vehicles), checking for red fuel. The finest (I have heard $10,000 but not seen anything in writing; however, do not want to personally find out either!)
Thus, the use of red fuel would be highly inadvisable.. Plus, most off-highway fuel tanks are rather like cesspools for dirt and microbes. Some of the worst fuels I have tested have been off-highway fuels...
George Morrison

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Most of the truck stops I have used had at least one pump for RVs. They will also have a small nozzle. Pilot is cut rate in my neck of the woods. The source is different on every load. I go out of my way to buy a major brand. Later! Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts