Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i went out and cranked the T-bars up on my truck. I still have roughly 3/4 before my upper control arms touch the bump stops. I have the stock shocks for now but i ordered new ones just waiting for them to come in. I got 39 1/2 from ground to to of wheel well and 40" in the back. I want to put a block in the back so it doesnt sag. Would you recommend a 1" or 1.5" block. I have 1.5" blocks and still have some room to crank the bars more. I have alittle less them 1/2 of the bolt showing. What would you do?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am going to use airbags in the back. Mine is still raked a bit, which I like, and when the need comes i will just fill the bags up and load down the truck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went 1.5" up in the front then installed a extra leaf in the rear. Yes it is stiff now but I haul heavy all the time so its ok for me. The spring lifted it about 2" so same rake just higher but still looks good when loaded.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
if your wanting to prevent sag go with an overload spring like the 3500s have and add the block as well, or just go with air bags, i have bags and at min psi it raised my backend 1/2" u can add more psi but i noticed a rougher ride so i keep it at the least i can.

but i plan on adding a 1" block or zero rate when i put my green keys in and bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a 2" block in the rear of my truck. A 1.5" would be fine if I didn't have a steel fuel tank in the box and the topper isn't exactly light either. Check out my garage for pics

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guy, i will probally put the blocks in next weekend when i get the shocks. I dont usually haul heavy but i do pull my race truck on a car trailer and i dont want the back to sag. When i get my tax return i might get some 285/75/16's on stock wheels. i will get pics soon.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Check out my set-up...sounds similar (285s, stock wheels, slight rake)other than I got Cognito leveling kit to help get the height. Cant remember now (got them at home) but I have measurements from hub center to fender lip I could get ya for comparison. More accurate since it takes tire squish due it inflation viariance, tread type/wear, and size out of the way.

I should note that with stock upper arms, I woulda probably be hitting the stop or damn close since I have 1/2" clearance with the cognito arms (rides fine). With that said, I imagine your around 3/4" lower than I, so you might want even smaller block than for rear. I am running a 2" block and, according to my calculations (to hub center), have reduced the factory rake by 1" (lifted front 3", rear 2").

Guess it depends if you want factory rake (I wanted some rake so it does'nt sit low in back when loaded...I have 500lbs in back now-for winter and it look like it still has a bit of rake). If you want stock rake, go up same amount in rear. How many turns did you do? 1 turn is 1/4".

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so far i raised the front up to match the back. It might be a 1/2" off but its not to bad. I can still crank on the bars alittle more. I still have a good bit of room before i hit the stops. Driving it to work today it rode like before but the stock shocks are shot. I will replace them this weekend. I dont want it to be as bad as the factory rake. I screwed up also the blocks i have are 1 1/4 solid aluminum. I used them on my dragtruck but no longer need them. I think they should work fine for me i should have less then 2". I might try cranking on the bars alittle more before i put the blocks in just to get an idea of how much of a diffrence.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Make sure you leave a little bit of "droop" in the front suspension, it will ride and handle much better.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive left alittle droop, i still have a good bit of room from the bump stops to the upper control arms.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
just enough to slide your fingers between yeilds a fine ride for me...no "topping out".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts