Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where I can get a crank pulley for a 1988 6.2L? I bought the engine and it came with everything except for that pulley. If any of you have a spare off a broken engine or something I would really appreciate being able to purchase it. Thanks.

Jody

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
jodydewey;1565213; said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a crank pulley for a 1988 6.2L? I bought the engine and it came with everything except for that pulley. If any of you have a spare off a broken engine or something I would really appreciate being able to purchase it. Thanks.
Jody
I know a place that sells them new, aftermarket - but you have to be more specifc. After 1985, GM used a rubber-cushioned pulley on all the 6.2s. Before that it was plain steel. 6.2s had a problem with low speed diesel pulse "surge" that can make the belts wear with the solid-steel pulley. It's not a big problem, though. And, some 1988 use V-belts and some serpentine ribbed. So, the pulleys are different for each. If you go to GM, a new rubber-cushioned pulley will cost over $400. Aftermarket around $200.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulley

Wholy crap! $200 for a pulley? That is all I paid for the entire motor! I guess I will be junkyard hunting. It would be nice to switch over to a full serpentine setup. Right now my set is V belt. The engine is supposedly out of a 1988 suburban.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
jodydewey;1566922; said:
Wholy crap! $200 for a pulley? That is all I paid for the entire motor! I guess I will be junkyard hunting. It would be nice to switch over to a full serpentine setup. Right now my set is V belt. The engine is supposedly out of a 1988 suburban.
Yeah, you're right. I often buy complete running 4WD diesel vehicles for less money than a new GM pulley. In 2000, I bought a new pulley for my 87 Suburban from GM and it was $155 - and I figured I was gettting robbed. Same pulley now is around $375. GM part # 15592128. There is a place selling them afermarket for $200, and another place that will rebuild your old one for $150.

An older solid-steel pulley from a 1985 or older 6.2 will bolt on a newer engine. Your belts won't last as long but other than that - it will work fine. You can easily buy one for $10-$15.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts