Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 98 K3500 that is strictly a yard/farm truck. It never leaves the property, so it isn't a show truck, daily driver or garage queen. It is a mule. I know folks freak out when they hear the dreaded starter fluid diagnosis but please remember it is a yard truck.

So with snow coming in the next few months I went to start my plow truck and it cranked but no start. I sprayed a little of the Diesel Crack in its nostrils and still no fire. Not even a little bit of pop, it was like it wasn't even used.

Should I start at the PMD? It should fire a little on starter fluid right? Again, just a farm truck, doesn't need to last a million miles.... the rust will be sure of that :)

TIA

tony

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 98 K3500 that is strictly a yard/farm truck. It never leaves the property, so it isn't a show truck, daily driver or garage queen. It is a mule. I know folks freak out when they hear the dreaded starter fluid diagnosis but please remember it is a yard truck.

So with snow coming in the next few months I went to start my plow truck and it cranked but no start. I sprayed a little of the Diesel Crack in its nostrils and still no fire. Not even a little bit of pop, it was like it wasn't even used.

Should I start at the PMD? It should fire a little on starter fluid right? Again, just a farm truck, doesn't need to last a million miles.... the rust will be sure of that :)

TIA

tony
If you continue to use ether you will not have an engine to start.... DO NOT USE ETHER!! If you must use something use a can of WD40 or a can of your favorite cooking spray.
It is much less volatile.

Start by replaceing the PMD with a "Known working PMD w/resistor installed.
Go through ALL grounds

· Administrator
26,950 Posts

· Registered
5,114 Posts
Is the glow plug system operating? Does the wait to start light come on?

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly my dad started an old case 310 that he started for 2 decades with ether. Do you know an actual case of a grenaded motor with the use of ether, actual photos. Someone you actually know? It reminds me of people who say I'm crazy for flying a small airplane (Cessna 172) and I ask them do they actually know someone who has been killed in a small plane, not something you saw on the news, actually know someone who died, then they have nothing to say.

So without the lecturing how evil I am spraying the farm truck with diesel crack, should it fire?

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Honestly my dad started an old case 310 that he started for 2 decades with ether. Do you know an actual case of a grenaded motor with the use of ether, actual photos. Someone you actually know? It reminds me of people who say I'm crazy for flying a small airplane (Cessna 172) and I ask them do they actually know someone who has been killed in a small plane, not something you saw on the news, actually know someone who died, then they have nothing to say
So without the lecturing how evil I am spraying the farm truck with diesel crack, should it fire?
Here is an example of what ether will do to our IDI engines

Reactions: Sierra_Grande

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
With the glow plugs disabled, it should fire.

Reactions: 98Dump

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is an example of what ether will do to our IDI engines
I appreciate the internet wisdom, however my family has a construction company and for decades they sprayed thier diesel with a 1 second Burst of ether and our machines never ever blew up. Hydraulics went way before the so call addicted engines. If you pump 10 seconds of ether in an engine, ok that might present a problem but ether is sold at every parts store and with the litigious society we live in I'm sure would be band like lawn jarts.

· Registered
5,114 Posts
As said in post 9 If your glow plug system is not working at all. It will fire using either and will most likely not cause major damage. It is the hot glow plugs that cause the bad pre ignition that bends rods and other damage.
But it is still not a good idea to use either on an IDI engine with a 22 t0 1 compression ratio. Be very careful on how much you spray in to avoid hydraulicking the engine.
On a piece of equipment with around 18 to 1 CR Either will work ok. I have used it many, many times on equipment in the winter.
So if you dont want to fix the block heater or Glows. Either or WD40 is your only choice. If you must start in cool weather.

· Registered
35 Posts
Isn't a block heater pretty cheap? Kind of a pain I understand...

I used to ether an International delivery truck in Alaska... Wasn't mine and I have no idea what kind of motor it was. I was a 21 year old kid and such things didn't concern me lol

Very interesting video of the 6.9...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts