Diesel Place banner

Crank but no start?? PO090, P0335, U1800?

14K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MRHORSEPOWER1 
#1 · (Edited)
HELP!! I'M STRESSED OUT!!! I am having problem with my '02 GMC Duramax, It won't start up at all!! At first, I had an Edge juice with attitude on it so i disconnected it and put stock harness in to the same place. Then crank, crank, crank and finally it starts up but no smoke or anything at all. Just clean smoke coming out of 5" exhaust system with 6" tip. So i thought i'd take it out for a drive and clear out all the computer system then parked it again. Then tried to start again and it won't start up this time and not even run once at all. Of course, i primed the fuel everytime i tried to start it but no start, i pumped that son of a ***** to the hardest and still no start. So i hooked up scan tool on to it and the codes says P0090 (fuel pressure regulator problem), PO335 (crank position sensor), and U1800 (lost communication with fuel injection module). I replaced the crank position sensor but still won't start! I checked the glow plug controller and noticed that there is a little burnt/fried wiring on it so i replaced it no matter what and still no start. I love my truck very much and named it Blue Ox. I need it back on the road again. But my best guess is burn out or bad ECM?? Is that possible to have a bad ECM (engine control module) on my duramax?? Or will it be a Fuel Injector Module problem?? My brain is getting drained out by thinking and figuring out too hard for long time. I am confused!! Hope one of you guys have similar problem as i do and able to verify what is my problem?? Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
my old truck was a 01 dmax and when it started to take a long time to start or sometimes not start at all it was the Injectors but i didnt know that at the time then the starter went out from all the cranking that sucked

#3 ·
no start help

Sorry to hear about your troubles. First, are any of your dtcs setting current or are they just history codes. Secondly, can your scan tool look at data because this is going to be a must for a crank no start. We need to look at a few major points-fuel pressure(does it build, minimum 3000psi
to get running), cranking speed(usually at least 150-200rpm), and does any other data readings look skewed. Also if memory serves me right p0090 is for large fuel leak. If all data looks fine during cranking but fuel
pressure is not moving high pressure fuel diagnosis will need performed.
Most certainly could be a high return flow injecter causing fault or possibly
fuel injection pump. Good luck, keep us posted.

#4 ·
NO fuel leak anywhere....everything is dry as desert!! No fuel problems... I drained it out into half gallon bucket to check for dirt and water from fuel filter system.... Crystal clear... But my other best guess is the bad injectors... is that possible?? I don't want the dealer to rip me off and chew up my wallet!! I'm gonna try something else tomorrow and see if i could figure it out.. Keep it coming and give me some more ideas!! Thanks again!!

#5 ·
Hmmmm!!!

Yeah, i betcha it's either bad fuel injectors or faulty fuel injector pump!?!?! I'm gonna check up on that scan once again and check the fuel rail parameters, etc.. Hopefully find the problem that cause it. Any ideas???

#6 ·
on second thought

I just wondered if any of those dtcs are setting current? U1800 could most certainly cause a no start if ficm is not communicating on diagnostic
data line. Would recommend clearing codes and see if any or all reset.
If they do i would go down that path for diagnosis. if none reset and fuel
rail pressure still does not build I would recommend fuel system diagnosis,
but several special tools needed and does your truck fall under special
policy injecter replacement? If so would take to a dealer you know and
trust. However, if U1800 sets i would take a very good look at wiring by ficm. There is a metal support bracket that wire loom gets ziptied with to
this bracket. I have seen many wires chaffed there and if the right wire were to get shorted to ground or rubbed open would cause your no start.
Good luck, i hope your garage is heated-bitter cold in iowa today!!

#7 ·
scottlb7;1569251; said:
I just wondered if any of those dtcs are setting current? U1800 could most certainly cause a no start if ficm is not communicating on diagnostic
data line. Would recommend clearing codes and see if any or all reset.
If they do i would go down that path for diagnosis. if none reset and fuel
rail pressure still does not build I would recommend fuel system diagnosis,
but several special tools needed and does your truck fall under special
policy injecter replacement? If so would take to a dealer you know and
trust. However, if U1800 sets i would take a very good look at wiring by ficm. There is a metal support bracket that wire loom gets ziptied with to
this bracket. I have seen many wires chaffed there and if the right wire were to get shorted to ground or rubbed open would cause your no start.
Good luck, i hope your garage is heated-bitter cold in iowa today!!
Inspect the bale connectors for any slightly bent pins........I had an intermittant U1800 fault and all it took to fix it was a slightly bent pin to be straightened as well and some dielectric grease on the pins.

It is possible you bent a pin without knowing it when removing the edge.

Good Luck,

Tony

#8 ·
Found out!! baaaaaaaaaaad injectors!!!!!!!!!!!!! weep weep weep!!! good news.........7 years/200k miles warranty on injectors!!! whew!! it's at dealership shop waiting for new injectors to arrive!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.