Diesel Place banner

4941 - 4960 of 6995 Posts

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Ok you can't leave it at that, share your traumatic bent valve story with us. :)
I don't have one, YET, but I have a TDI that needs one real soon and its a PIA. The last I did was on a stand, so it was accessible but still a PIA and not real cheap. Then I need the software to make sure the timing is adjusted properly.

However, I have lost count f the number of people I know that lost their whole engine or a lot of $$ on top end repair. The vast majority were under the 100k timeline a few were because the owner had no idea it took a belt. And the 100k timeline varies on the quality of the belt. Some, including my OEM are only about 70k.

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I know on a lot of stuff now belt life is less than that, closer to 80k miles. I know my dads Miata is that way. Belts are just fine as long as proper maintenance is done. Same deal for anything else, proper maintenance is key!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know on a lot of stuff now belt life is less than that, closer to 80k miles. I know my dads Miata is that way. Belts are just fine as long as proper maintenance is done. Same deal for anything else, proper maintenance is key!
Evidently the Kia 4banger timing belts were supposed to be every 60k miles...and as I posted earlier the carnage could be awesome.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
I've always considered 120k on a timing belt to be MAX and anything beyond was is considered borrowed time. Typically, I will try to get it changed out around 100k or as soon as possible if unknown mileage. That being said, I have not ever had one break on me, but I have known of a few engines that were never the same after a belt break.
I had a 88 Acura Legend that went 223k on the original belt... it snapped.
That's when I acquired it cheap, they put a belt on it but it must have nicked a couple valves because it would smoke at idle.
I put a motor in it and drove the wheels off it.

I don't have one, YET, but I have a TDI that needs one real soon and its a PIA. The last I did was on a stand, so it was accessible but still a PIA and not real cheap. Then I need the software to make sure the timing is adjusted properly.
Right on, one of many reasons I sold the TDI, it was due and too much else was going wrong with it..
The Accord I just bought has no belt, when the sales guy told me that I was like where do I sign...:bounce:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I need to change the timing belt on my van, but luckily that Mitsubishi engine is a non-interference motor! but its about 50k past the Chrysler scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Now that I think about it, I haven't owned anything with a timing belt for over 10 years. Right now we have the 6.5, my wife's Equinox, my Mazda6 2.5 and my SV650, all with chains. My last two cars were GM 3.1 and 3.8, my last three trucks were two 350's and a Dodge 360.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I have an 05 nissan(65k miles) with a chain that is starting to rattle at low rpm in 1st and 2nd. It's really annoying. Need to get busy and replace that tensioner. If the rattle remains after that then it's valve lash out of spec which is a lot worse. Easy things first and rule them out by process of elimination.

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
This is....different. Not my taste at all but thought was mildly interesting. Love the big FORD on the back even though it's more GMC than it is Ford
1951 ford F6 1 tone dually | classic cars | Ottawa | Kijiji

Wait...I didn't see the mud flaps. that's funny

1951 Ford 1 tone dually one of kind custom made extended cab . The body as been put over a 1985 Chev one tone truck frame with a 6.2 diesel engine . All wires as been replace new. No problem to get parts
chassis up to stearing all from a 1985 Chev truck. ( Best offer )
$_27.JPG

·
Registered
138 Posts
Even chains aren't safe anymore. BMW M60 DOHC V8 has a double row chain with an idler at the bottom of the V plus guides all around. Lives forever.

Improved M62 has a single row chain and the idler was replaced with more guides to make the V. Lives a long time with proper oils.

Next generation got variable valve timing (Vanos) considerably increasing the load the single row chain still with guides and no idler.

Somewhere usually well before 200k miles most need guides and a chain and are throwing codes. Thrashing and banging ensue and the permanent check engine light means it won't pass an emissions test.

Stealer price of the job equals about the value of the car. Parts alone run about $500 and it appears to be done most easily with the engine out.

Someday I will find a 2001 740 Sport and pull the trigger. A $70k car for 1 to 2K and a couple of weekends of work sounds good to me. I already have a pre-Vanos '98 I paid $500 for and really enjoy the ride.

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
Most vehicles now don't seem to be built for 100k let alone 200k miles

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Stealer price of the job equals about the value of the car. Parts alone run about $500 and it appears to be done most easily with the engine out.
That's retarded :shake: ....Censored engineers.

My son got lucky. He has an 01 Bora, identical to my Jetta but with the turbo 2.0 . It started to make a hell of a racket at idle and sounded like it was coming apart. I told him to get it towed to a shop don't even drive it. The belt was stretched beyond specs and ready to fall off. :Insane: Around $1200 IIRC but no damage. At least he knew he had to change it, was planning to do it in the near future.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Even chains aren't safe anymore. BMW M60 DOHC V8 has a double row chain with an idler at the bottom of the V plus guides all around. Lives forever.

Improved M62 has a single row chain and the idler was replaced with more guides to make the V. Lives a long time with proper oils.

Next generation got variable valve timing (Vanos) considerably increasing the load the single row chain still with guides and no idler.

Somewhere usually well before 200k miles most need guides and a chain and are throwing codes. Thrashing and banging ensue and the permanent check engine light means it won't pass an emissions test.

Someday I will find a 2001 740 Sport and pull the trigger. A $70k car for 1 to 2K and a couple of weekends of work sounds good to me. I already have a pre-Vanos '98 I paid $500 for and really enjoy the ride.
Timing chains, jacked pcv design, among other things made me never want to own an m62. Afterdealing with the M2, M54 and N62 engines, I am fairly certain that I have gotten BMW out of my system. Their cars are amazing driver's cars, but I work on what I drive and I am done working on BMWs.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Love my old BMW M10, the things just go and go and go!! But that's a 60's design.... This car has never let me down!

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
So...why is the engine on the stand...?

Just BYB...:coolnana: I love them ol Bimmer's

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Ouch.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you got it for cheaper (says OBO) and could do the head gaskets yourself it might be a good deal. Quite a few new parts on it. Plus it has air bags :coolnana:

1993 93 Chevy 6.5 Diesel 4X4 Extra Cab Long Box
"I have a 93 Chevy 6.5 diesel 2500 extended cab long box that is 4 wheel drive. The engine and transmission were rebuilt 30,000 miles ago by a reputable local machine shop. The transmission is a NV4500 with new heavy duty clutch. The turbo, high torque starter, water pump, radiator, alternator and 4 inch custom exhaust were all done at the same it was rebuilt. The front end was rebuilt 4000 miles ago with all new bearings, seals, ball joints, etc. It has a gooseneck hitch in the bed and working aftermarket air bags for hauling heavier loads if needed. The interior is in great condition with no holes in the seats, new carpet, Husky floor mats. The paint has some of the typical clear coat delamination that is typical with this generation of Chevy pickups. It also has a rebuilt title from a relatively small accident in the front end. It was bought back from the insurance company by the previous owner and had the front end rebuilt at that time. Drives straight, hauls well, and doesn't have any issues or evidence it was ever in an accident. The odometer reads 190,000. The reason I am selling it is because it blew a head gasket I shut it down immediately!! It has sat ever since and still turns over by hand. I don't have the time or resources to repair it at this time, so save a bunch on a nice diesel if you are mechanical. Only asking $2500 obo due to the repairs needed and I am willing to haul it within a 100 mile range. Heck of a deal even if you were to part it out with all the new items and transmission."

Attachments

4941 - 4960 of 6995 Posts