Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys whats the difference between crasftman and snap on? there noth made in the usa and have life time warrenty.
so what pros and cons do both have and whats the difference between them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think the Snap-on is a lot more refined...they feel better in your hand. If I were turning wrenchs every day for a living I would have nothing but Snap-on. The problem is, I don't and so the Snap-on guy doesn't stop at my little garage. I have some Snap-ons that I inherited from my dad and I have had to run down the truck to get parts and replacements. With the Craftman, I just ask my wife to take care of it when she goes to Sears.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I use them all. SnapOn sockets and wrenches are thinner and fit tighter spaces for us pros, but not always. If the socket or wrench fits the bolt properly and is not too thick, there is no difference.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Snap On tools are pretty,work well,and expensive.If you break a tool,you gotta find the snap on guy.Retail stores are few and far between.Craftsman tools are cheaper,work well,and durable.Sears stores are just about everywhere.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
cant say I have any complaints about my Craftsman hand tools. Very good quality in general, and they are nicely priced too. The lifetime warentee is nice too...

If I had a surplus of money, Snap On tools would be nice.......but still, whenever im using my Craftsman tools, I never find myself saying "wow I really wish I had Snap On tools..."

JMO.

Ben

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Snap-on all the way I would never use Craftman.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Couldn't agree more with the running down the snap on truck, what a PITA....

I would rather have Craftsman...

Plus, the do have "pretty" wrenches too, smooth and shiney, but a waste of money IMHO......

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have always been able to do what I need to do with my Craftsman tools. I can't imagine, nor do I understand the logic behind it, why a tool company wouldn't sell through retailers.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Snap on makes some very nice specialty wrenches that I haven't seen from craftsman. Back in the 80s I bought a distributor wrench that I absolutely loved. I could have used a ratchet, but after buying that wrench ($52 at the time) the difference in time savings and ease of use justifies the cost.

I inherited a bunch of craftsman, snap-on and proto tools from my grandfather. Some of em go back to the 20s. Still work great.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Snap On tools are pretty,work well,and expensive.If you break a tool,you gotta find the snap on guy.Retail stores are few and far between.Craftsman tools are cheaper,work well,and durable.Sears stores are just about everywhere.
If I had a surplus of money, Snap On tools would be nice.......but still, whenever im using my Craftsman tools, I never find myself saying "wow I really wish I had Snap On tools..."
Couldn't agree more with the running down the snap on truck, what a PITA....
I would rather have Craftsman...
Plus, the do have "pretty" wrenches too, smooth and shiney, but a waste of money IMHO......
:iamwithst Have a few Snap-On's but I always seem to grab the Craftsman stuff out of the tool box.

Craftsman :thumb:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i put my tools through hell. like said before, there isn't a large difference, and sears are everywhere so returning isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I use them all. SnapOn sockets and wrenches are thinner and fit tighter spaces for us pros, but not always. If the socket or wrench fits the bolt properly and is not too thick, there is no difference.
I have heard that before. I guess if you have a shop (professional, as in for a living) and you break tools it is nice to have a snap on guy that comes to you to get your tool replaced rather than making a special trip to get it replaced.

Personally, I have a few snap on screwdrivers, but most all of my tools are craftsman. I have never had any trouble with any of them.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Craftsman in my tool box...Snap On calendars on my garage wall.):h

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Craftsman tools here. Never had a problem with them replacing them no matter what.

Off topic, but JoshH is that a 6420?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Craftsman tools have really cheapen up their tools in the last 20 year. Put a older tool next to a new one. I have Craftsman, Snap On, Mac, and Matco tools in my tool boxes. The main advantage to the Craftsman is when some one barrows it you dont have to spend a lot to replace it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Most of my tools are Craftsman because they are less expensive and the Sears is on my way to work. I have a few specialty tools from Snap-On and others that are just fine. I like my craftsman for all my tools but they don't make some stuff. I also really like all my Harbor Fraight tools, just becuase they are really really cheep but no warentee.

Bentley

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have mostly craftsman, but snapon definitely makes a better tool. Spending the extra money is worth it on some tools. Line wrenches by craftsman as an example have enough flex that you are likely to round off the head on a tough flare nut. Snap ons are very rigid and I've never had a problem with flare nuts using one of my snapon line wrenches, even on my old 69 camaros. If you are using open end wrenches on tough bolts, same applies. Even the box end wrenches and sockets from snap on have more precision and won't round bolds as easily when using a 12 point, 6 points I don't think it will make that much difference. I make a point to always buy 6 point sockets so I don't need the precision from snap on with them though. Specialty tools, snap on has a great selection, much better than craftsman.

Also, not sure all craftsman tools are made in the US, they were importing tools from Asia for quite a while, and you can see the difference in quality easily. Not sure if they still are, been a while since I bought any.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Cost issue

They are both excellent. Snap on also has tools that Sears either doesn't carry, or it comes in a set or so it seems. For instance, went down to buy a socket for my 2 & 5/16 trailer ball, and Sears did not have it. On way home, saw the Snap-on truck and followed him to his next stop, walked in with my trailer ball nut and asked if he had one to fit, he asked 1/2" or 3/4" drive?? Yes I paid dearly, but he had it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I put my snap on reps kid through college with all the money I spent over the last 8 years.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts