Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD CCLB 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the dealer I bought my truck from wanted to do a full service before delivering the truck. It was new on his lot and they hadnt been able to get it serviced when we went down to look it over. He changed the oil and put on new brakes. He said the truck threw a CEL on the after service check out ride. The mechanic said it was an issue with the turbo. Dealer said the impeller or vanes had a crack and they need a couple more days to get the part in to fix it. He said they are going to put a new turbo on at his expense. I can't find any info about cracked turbo or impeller online. Anyone ever heard of that? Dealer is an honest guy and his dealership has great reviews so I am pretty sure it isn't a line of BS. Just wondering what may be wrong. I have read about sticking unison ring, maybe that was the issue and the dealer just incorrectly quoted the mechanic?

·
Administrator
16,649 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

If you use the "Community Search" located at the top of your screen you can find threads related to the LLY Turbo vanes/Impeller.

(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, searched there as well as searching the Web extensively. A lot of for sale postings but no one here or elsewhere has talked about a cracked impeller or vane on these models. Some threads on sticking unison ring and sensor issues, or broken vanes due to ingesting foreign objects but nothing on cracked vanes.

I guess maybe your point is if I can't find info with a search then it probably isn't a documented issue since the truck is 16 years old. It would have surfaced somewhere by now:) that actually makes a lot of sense.

I will wait and see what the dealer comes back with once this is fixed and update this thread for others to reference.

·
Administrator
16,649 Posts
Yes, searched there as well as searching the Web extensively. A lot of for sale postings but no one here or elsewhere has talked about a cracked impeller or vane on these models. Some threads on sticking unison ring and sensor issues, or broken vanes due to ingesting foreign objects but nothing on cracked vanes.

I guess maybe your point is if I can't find info with a search then it probably isn't a documented issue since the truck is 16 years old. It would have surfaced somewhere by now:) that actually makes a lot of sense.

I will wait and see what the dealer comes back with once this is fixed and update this thread for others to reference.
Excessive wear on the Unison ring guides are expected with age but random issues with cracks are rare at best, unless as you mentioned, foreign object ingestion or possibly a casting material flaw finally gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with the service department. He said one of the vanes was cracked and the unison ring was fractured. They already put a new turbo on it and are just waiting on a gasket/seal to finish up the work. It will be done today if the gasket comes in or Monday at the latest. Odd, but I guess I am lucky they caught it during their pre-delivery service rather than have it go out a on my elk trip to Idaho in a few weeks. I didn't think to ask which codes it was throwing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts