Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced both head gaskets and had a shop install new injector sleeves. After assembly and running for a couple of days I ended up with water in #8. Pulled the head and the #8 injector cup and found a crack around the base of where the injector cup seats (between the injector cup and further most rear intake port.

This was very slight at first (actually thought I had not gotten the system purged) and by the 3rd day of local driving got pretty severe to the tune of a gallon of coolant in around 20 to 30 miles.

What would cause this. I have had the truck for the past 21,000 miles and has not been hot during this period of time.

Truck is an 01, bone stock, with 193,000 miles.

Thanks,
Chuck

BTW, I need a head if anyone has one

·
Registered
42,913 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why did you change the head gaskets?
Denny

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maximum;1591842; said:
Why did you change the head gaskets?
Denny
I was loosing coolant into #6 and was not sure if it was injector sleeve or head gasket. Injectors had been replaced at 162,000 and I suspected that possibly damage was done to the sleeve at that time but no way of knowing. I'm not good at trusting most shops so did it myself. I can only imagine what kind of bill I would be looking at by now over this little ordeal

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Did you do the head gaskets while the motor was in the truck?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RickDLance;1591897; said:
Did you do the head gaskets while the motor was in the truck?
Yes, it wasn't as bad as you guys had me thinking it would be.:)

I think I could probably make it in around the 32 hour mark now but didn't this time.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Chuck, let me know if I can help you with the heads. I have a few options avail.

Glad you found something, sucks it was on the second trip in though. I would have hoped the shop that installed the cups would have seen it though

·
Registered
266 Posts
Have a set of 03's in the porting process. Flow bench prior and post specs. Un-cut virgins, pressure tested, and certified. Bare heads. All holes, blind and through, perfect. PM me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after a nights sleep it dawned on me that there were no o-rings on the injectors that I had pulled out of the cracked head. Called the shop that replaced the injector sleeves and asked about it. Was told that they did not use the o-rings and torqued the clamps to 50 ft lbs. instead.

I am wondering if this is what broke the head. It fits with the type of crack and where it is.

Any ideas? Am I right or wrong.

Also don't these o-rings have to be in place. I'm going to tear the other side down now and pull those injectors also.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
266 Posts
chuckcourter;1592593; said:
Well after a nights sleep it dawned on me that there were no o-rings on the injectors that I had pulled out of the cracked head. Called the shop that replaced the injector sleeves and asked about it. Was told that they did not use the o-rings and torqued the clamps to 50 ft lbs. instead.

I am wondering if this is what broke the head. It fits with the type of crack and where it is.

Any ideas? Am I right or wrong.

Also don't these o-rings have to be in place. I'm going to tear the other side down now and pull those injectors also.

Thanks,
Chuck
Maybe it's just me, but aren't the o-rings there for a reason?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
There is a soft washer that seals the compression in at the bottom of the injector. The rubber o-ring seems to only keep the oil from getting in there and staying, because there is no drain from there. I'm not sure there would be any major issues without the o-ring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't really see that it would hurt anything without the o-ring but I suppose someone saw a purpose for it. What I don't like is the over tightening of the clamp. Spec calls for 37 ft lbs. and they are torquing to 50. quite a bit of difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts