Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Chevy has a cracked bed on the pass side behind the dually. It is in a place that is very werid. It does not look like anyone hit me and I know I didn't hit anything between wednesday when I washed it and Friday night when girly friend saw it. The crach is about 1 and a half foot long. Very long. No visible scrathes to it at all.

Has anyone else had problems with these beds or have advise? I can not amagine this is going to be a cheap fix at all. I appreciate the info.

best regards,

Scott D.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Do you have mud flaps? Someone in NC recently broke his fender when he backed into a snow pile. the mudflap was stronger than the fender.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One word -- eBay! Max Power had a post where a mint takeoff bed went for a little over $500.

Yeah, I need mud flaps, but that is scary...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't get mud flaps on the back. After some research I have learned that this has happened many times before to others.

I don't recall backing into anything and my mud flap is not rigid so it bends. Took to dealer today and he is not sure how it happened.

I've read @2 grand to fix. Needless to say I am not happy.

My built like a rock Chevy can never leave the road, never be driven in more the a few inches of show, guess I'll have to bust out the old chevette when things get rough. Now that was a touch car. Geeze I should be able to say that about my truck.

Just a little sore that just when I get the credit card paid off with tax return I get around and spend it to fix something that sould never of broke in the first place. Great job on this design. I have had 2 duallies before this one and never had this problem before.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm the one with two busted fenders in NC. I got an estimate today. $ 2976.00 for both sides. They estimated a lot less labor to paint the 2nd side, so doing one side would be a couple hundred more than 1/2 the estimate. I'm going to see the general manager of the dealer tomorrow if I get a chance, and see if I can be a real pain in their a*s. They know me well there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A complete bed can be found for $1000.00. Then add in another bed liner ($500.00) and some time for the swap. The estimate I got included removing the bed. I would have guessed that you wouldn't have to do that.

I want to research "hauler beds" from what I've seen $7k-$8k. Or cheap out and put an aluminum flat bed on it. I like the PU box better as far as looks go, but this is a work truck and I don't want to pay for this but ONCE. As these beds get older, plastic gets dried out and more fragil. Not Too Good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dmaxscott

can you post or e-mail me a picture of your cracked fender?

·
Registered
170 Posts
dmaxscott said:
I don't recall backing into anything and my mud flap is not rigid so it bends.

If your flexable mud flap is attached to the fender (and I'm sure it is) It could tug on the fender if you backed up to a curb. The guy that bought my old 98 dually from me ripped the flexible flaps off of that truck. the fenders stayed on the truck though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts