Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When/If it comes time to get rid of my current CP4 (2013 truck with 177k miles), I am wondering what everyone thinks of using a remanufactured/new CP4, or doing the whole CP3 conversion? I ask because, I am not looking to make a bunch of horsepower, my truck is a daily and used for towing.

Here are my thoughts:

Using a new CP4:
direct bolt-on swap
no tuning required
less cost
new injection pump would still be much better than the currently used CP4 that is on the truck
**are there any companies that offer a more reliable, upgraded CP4 pump??
have an exergy fuel system saver FPR for the CP4

CP3 Conversion:
more money
tuning required (**S&S diesel has a no-tune option - how??)
more proven reliability

I am not taking into consideration the labor, because its pretty much the same work for either option, correct?

I also have an AirDog FP-100 lift pump system, to deliver clean, air-free fuel to the engine. This coupled with routine maintenance and fuel additives, makes me think a new CP4 would last just as long as a CP3 conversion.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: sisupower

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would rather hands down do the cp3 swap. It’s a very reliable pump and has been proven in previous years. It is just used to move fuel and ramp up pressure so that’s why no tuning is required just like injectors. Put them in and go! I understand the thoughts of using the cp4 but IMO I wouldn’t do it. Even if you are not looking to make more power it is just a solid pump. More money yes be we all drive diesels and some as in me have 2. Everything is expensive but you need to put good reliable parts in them to get the life you want out of it. I did this conversation for my buddy in his 12 Duramax and he is glad he did it. While we had things open we did bigger turbine wheel and cover. He has his deleted and tuned so it did make a big difference right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is just used to move fuel and ramp up pressure so that’s why no tuning is required just like injectors. Put them in and go!
So why do so many CP3 conversions say they require tuning? And why does S&S seem to have the only kit available that doesn't require tuning?

I've got a mini max right now, and about to fix the EGR and exhaust systems...Would that tuning be sufficient, or would the CP3 require more extensive tuning or a different type of tuner altogether?

Reactions: sisupower

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did find this kit online:

It says the CP4 pump has "Updated housing, camshaft, roller tappets and gear pump." However I haven't been able to find any other CP4 pumps with "updated internals"...hmm

·
Registered
12 Posts
So why do so many CP3 conversions say they require tuning? And why does S&S seem to have the only kit available that doesn't require tuning?

I've got a mini max right now, and about to fix the EGR and exhaust systems...Would that tuning be sufficient, or would the CP3 require more extensive tuning or a different type of tuner altogether?
From what I gather the cp3 that require no tuning have already been set to stock parameters for mostly stock applications. If you plan on building the truck for more power then get one you need to tune. You will be able to get more out of it I believe.

I am not sure on the tuning for the pump. You would have to ask tech support on that. I would think it will require a separate tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been talking to S&S Diesel about their no-tune CP3 conversion option. They said the "No Tune LML CP3 Conversion Kit, is designed with a custom metering unit and other internal adjustments so that the pump curve matches that of a CP4." They also added:

"The No Tuning Required kit, is the best option if you are looking to keep your current tunes. This kit comes with a CP3 that has been made to match output of a stock CP4 and will run correctly with any tunes already on the truck. "

So it seems pretty straight forward that there is a CP3 conversion without special/extra tuning required.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and ordered an S&S CP3 conversion. I got down to pump removal and wouldnt you know it, it seems someone already replaced the CP4 on this truck. This current pump is definitely a reman pump from Diamond Advantage Diesel! Interesting....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts