Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to buy a used 2016 drama with 40K on the clock . I have been reading a lot, across the internet about the cp4 grenade issue. I have read lots of articles and posts on what to do to prevent the issue, from lift pumps, to bypass, to cp3 replacements.

Looking for advice on which is best. I would like to do whichever is best now, so i can drive it problem free for years to come

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
15,962 Posts
Some go through the extra expense of converting the Cp4 over to a Cp3 but it's unnecessary...
The most prevention you can add that is cost-effective is the lift pump, added filtration.
Along with purchasing your fuels from well-used truck stops like Flying J, T/A, Pilot, etc.. and adding an additive in each tank for lubricity.
Those steps will greatly lessen the chances of an issue
There are lots of threads here you can research and you can also contact our Supporting Vendor, John Kennedy at Kennedy Diesel: Kennedy Diesel
can give you more advice on the subject.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Piggybacking on this thread:

Considering the CP4 issues, is it asking for trouble to consider buying an LML with say 175k-200k miles on it? Ie, is it any more risky than any other Duramax with comparable mileage?

I bought my LLY with 200k on the odometer and have made it 10 years and 150k miles. I've been looking at moving up to something newer, and was thinking LMM, but I've seen a few LML's within arm's reach price wise of my limit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,962 Posts
Piggybacking on this thread:

Considering the CP4 issues, is it asking for trouble to consider buying an LML with say 175k-200k miles on it? Ie, is it any more risky than any other Duramax with comparable mileage?

I bought my LLY with 200k on the odometer and have made it 10 years and 150k miles. I've been looking at moving up to something newer, and was thinking LMM, but I've seen a few LML's within arm's reach price wise of my limit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Provided that you do the upgrades to help lessen the chances of the grenade issue, the LML should give you that many miles and more. I wouldn't consider it a risky venture.
An ounce of prevention goes a long way.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts