Diesel Place banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know it’s an expensive failure, and very upsetting if you’re unlucky enough to have it happen to you, but I can assure you it’s not as common as you would think. You need to keep in mind, the posts on forums like this one are only from (rightly) upset owners. I’m sure that the failure percentage is actually lower than the internet would like you to believe.

On another note, I personally hope there is no special policy or campaign regarding the injection pump, if there is I’ll not be able to afford to feed my family anymore, the labor time was cut by more than in half for the injection pump replacement, and the procedure we have to follow if the pump fails with metal debris in the system, we get just over 12 hours to do a repair that to do correctly can take nearly 25 hours.

So that means GM is still charging an arm and a leg and doing a half assed repair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I say “we get” I mean what we technicians get paid for the job. We (skilled techs) also know to do the repair properly it takes much longer. The posted repair is through and includes cleaning anything fuel touches that does not actually get replaced. I can assure you that my repairs for this condition are done correctly.

Most of the retail charge is for parts, as you all know, diesel parts are expensive!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Well read enough, my 2011 is getting the CP3 conversion done this Thursday. It has 97,000 miles on it and I plan on keeping the truck until it dies.
CP3 conversion does not eliminate the need for fuel system upgrades. In my experience the incidence of failure is quite low and the cost of pre-emptive is at or near 50% of the full job done later. Hard to justify. I'll stick with lift pump, secondary filtration, and quality fuel treatment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reactions: CntrlCalDmax

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
FPPF Total Power

Because there's more to an additive than a lubricity/wear scar sore.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have an old LBZ w/CP3 and have good results with Stanadyne & Howes ... but if I had a CP4 with known issues with tight clearances personally I would be interested in the latest Lubricity but that's just me. Take Care

·
Registered
20 Posts
The fuel in MN is high in a bio component. Our fuel has really good lubricity numbers "as is". So, I've not been running any lubricity additives, because most either makes little difference or actually lowers the lubricity. I do always carry Stanadyne with me in the truck in case I travel outside MN. Hopefully, this will keep the pump from grenading!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took the plunge on my 2011 with 97k on it. CP3 swap, EGR removed, new serpentine belt, high flow muffler since it was a straight 4” pipe from the turbo back, inspection on all the components. Cost $4500 for a good piece of mind. He did show me the screen on the CP4 and it had no metal or signs of imminent failure. Still glad I did it.

·
Administrator
16,042 Posts
Took the plunge on my 2011 with 97k on it. CP3 swap, EGR removed, new serpentine belt, high flow muffler since it was a straight 4” pipe from the turbo back, inspection on all the components. Cost $4500 for a good piece of mind. He did show me the screen on the CP4 and it had no metal or signs of imminent failure. Still glad I did it.
Congrats on your upgrades.
Be sure to update your signature info with the engine updates in case you ever have issues down the road and need to post about it

:thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just wanted to post my truck exp...
I have a 2013 dmax drw, bought it with 36 miles, it has 206k miles. Totally stock, used to hotshot a single car enclosed gooseneck, nothing crazy for this truck that's for sure. I have added the heet additive for lubrication I believ it is on most but not all tanks.
I have a air dogg ii sitting in the garage, along with a wehrli fab upgraded screen protector thing, I forget the name of if, to install just for piece of mind.
The only issues the truck has had, knock on wood, is at around like 38k there was a small, lower pan seal oil leak, fixed under warranty, then at about 125k miles the heater for def went out. Was a pretty easy fix I did myself for about 150$.
The only major problem was something that I caused, the air filter was too backed up, and that created positive crankcase pressure, which put oil into the exhaust, which put oil into the dpf, luckily I found a bad *** diesel mechanic, he cleaned it and got me going for 800 instead of the like 6k I think ot woulda been to replace with a brand new dpf.
Now, I had a leaky heater core, but the motor was dead nuts on temps, so, I didnt think anything of it a as long as the motor didnt overheat, well, the turbo and egr cooler I belive was getting starved of coolant, cuz the turbo vgt was sticking and I got a speed reduction warning, stealer told me 6500 for egr cooler bypass valve replacement and new turbo.
Without going down that tangent, in terms of fuel issues. The truck literally still sounds and feels like it did when I bought it almost 7 yrs ago now. Even when this cooling issue took place, I topped the coolant off, left the ac/heater off, and began to drive my truck home from utah, i love in los angeles, and the 55mph speed restriction timer would turn off and truck was feeling fine. I am not terribly worried about the cp4, but I know a lift pump will help and the wehrli fab part both help aid to some piece of mind. I think that wehrli fab part, based on its strength of the new screen they use, would be a great 250$ investment to save to 6500 high pressure fuel system from needing replacement. To my knowledge there hasnt been anyone whose replaced the factory piece with a wehrli fab unit and then ended up having a cp4 failure, to gauge the ability of this thing to really protect the motor long enough for you to **** it down. But again, like I said, for 250, it's worth trying.
I also havent searched to see if anyone has had a failure and been saved by the wehrli fab screen. But if someone has heard of it I'm curious...

·
Registered
2012 gmc 2500 lml fully deleted emissions lift pump.
3 Posts
Bone stock 2012 lml with 110xxxkm cp4 failure. 15,000 in repairs. Luck of the draw is all it comes down to

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ya, I agree. I .curious if anyone has has the cp4 fail with ome of.the WCF upgraded regulators.

Wonder if it will actually save the system like it claims.
Anyone heard anything or experienced it themselves?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
No, it will not Save it, the Money is better spent on Auxiliary filtration, (Auxiliary filtration is separated filtering) We have many customers going to 300K miles on a diet of great Auxiliary Filtration, I also have CP4s with 500K miles.

The Marketing systems like Fass/Dog etc will filter fuel, they WILL not stop contamination. Most of the fuel refined in N/A is good, handling , transporting and storage are the areas that contaminate Fuel, and the States that require Bio-DSL during the warm seasonal use, fair better when handle and filtered correctly. I have challenge theses companies numerous times they have NOT accepted ever.

·
Registered
2012 gmc 2500 lml fully deleted emissions lift pump.
3 Posts
No, it will not Save it, the Money is better spent on Auxiliary filtration, (Auxiliary filtration is separated filtering) We have many customers going to 300K miles on a diet of great Auxiliary Filtration, I also have CP4s with 500K miles.

The Marketing systems like Fass/Dog etc will filter fuel, they WILL not stop contamination. Most of the fuel refined in N/A is good, handling , transporting and storage are the areas that contaminate Fuel, and the States that require Bio-DSL during the warm seasonal use, fair better when handle and filtered correctly. I have challenge theses companies numerous times they have NOT accepted ever.
With 190k on my truck a cp4 failure 80k ago and a failed headgasket now should fix and drive or dump the truck

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Considering the cp4 failures, is it Russian roulette to buy a used 2011+ Duramax? How scared would everyone be of buying one with 150k-200k miles?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

101 - 116 of 116 Posts