Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have looked at the conversion kits through different online retailers. Prices seem to very between 800-2000$. I wonder how big or small of a project it is to convert.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The R&R itself is a big job, I can't imagine converting to an older pump. I'm inclined to think that any pump failures are bad luck as long as you're keeping up with your maintence - similar to any other failure.

I've got one in my stall right now at work with the metal filings from the pump (only second one we've seen) and I'll keep my eyes peeled for any possible causes but I think the general will deny the warrenty claim if I disasemble the old pump.

·
Registered
16,222 Posts
Kennedy has lift pumps, no drill installations and it is a silent pump.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have looked at the Kennedy pumps. Im not sure why exactly but to me they do not seem very "user Friendly". Could just be my lack of experience. I see everyone ranting about how good they are! They definitely seem a little more difficult to install then the Air dog or the Fass pumps. It could just be that they are designed different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Would GM not change the part # slightly on a updated pump assembly say from a 11/12 to a 15? Maybe someone that has access to parts info could fill us in .

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looking at the old pump and the new one I can see some differences just looking at them, here's pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
New pump (sorry for multiple posts not letting me do more than one pic from phone)

As you can see it's already installed.

...of course it displays picture upside down...

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is the fuel pressure regulator #1, it lives in the top of the pump. May have to magnify to see the shiny shiny in it, there's also some goo in it. I've seen pics that are much worse than this one - this one was caught early.

Attachments

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Different gear pump design. Different main housing?
Looks like fine particles are getting past the filter? What the heck is up with that?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Reading bulletins the pump is the primary failure causing metal filings throughout fuel system and particles flow through return lines to tank, which then gets recycled to feed side again - thus particles through whole system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rob1 ,what year of truck are you working on?It looks as though they have changed somethings on the pump as per diff casting numbers,thxs for the pics.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think its a '13 but I'll double check tomorrow at work

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to show us the photos. Nice write up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have looked at the Kennedy pumps. Im not sure why exactly but to me they do not seem very "user Friendly". Could just be my lack of experience. I see everyone ranting about how good they are! They definitely seem a little more difficult to install then the Air dog or the Fass pumps. It could just be that they are designed different.
I have installed a few of Kennedy's lift pumps and will say they are quality. One of the biggest things I have against the Airdog and Fass is if the pump quits you are beside the road whereas the Kennedy one is a flow thru pump design. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
22 Posts
IM somewhat encouraged that there have been some obvious changes to the pump.Interesting enough GM has been Quiet about it,Ford as well.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
He called the dealership and they said if he was using that Wix filter he may be screwed. He will find out this week what the damage is and I'll report as I am very curious.
Interesting, how are they going to do that?

Reading bulletins the pump is the primary failure causing metal filings throughout fuel system and particles flow through return lines to tank, which then gets recycled to feed side again - thus particles through whole system.
Yep, just like the VW TDI's, takes out the whole fuel system. When they first started failing, $15K repair bill, now its down to something like $7500. VW of America is repairing all of them under warranty, VW of Canada, nope.

Pretty said buying a new vehicle is worse than playing russian roulette. Censored

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have installed a few of Kennedy's lift pumps and will say they are quality. One of the biggest things I have against the Airdog and Fass is if the pump quits you are beside the road whereas the Kennedy one is a flow thru pump design. Just my $.02.
That actually a good point. And thanks for letting me know!! I have read about the Kennedy Pumps and maybe i just overlooked that part. I do not remember seeing that they are flow thru design. But that is definitely a plus for sure. That might just have been what i needed to hear to make the purchase.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That actually a good point. And thanks for letting me know!! I have read about the Kennedy Pumps and maybe i just overlooked that part. I do not remember seeing that they are flow thru design. But that is definitely a plus for sure. That might just have been what i needed to hear to make the purchase.
No problem. Glad to be of some assistance:thumb: Good luck on whichever one you choose.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are issues with the new HPFP's but if I had to guess failure rates are probably less than 5%. To me even if it is 1% it is an issue because if they fail it is a catastrauphic failure that will cost a ton to fix. I'm not convinced this is gonna be a LB7 type issue where there is a high likelihood you'll have to replace injectors in almost every case, because there are some high mileage LML's out there with no fuel pump problems whatsoever.

From my research I think the best thing you can do is to try and get good fuel from a reputable place, use a Lubricity additive, change filters often, and don't tune it unless you run a lift pump.

No one I know has ever had an issue with the fuel system in an LML until just last week when my buddy was having issues starting his 2012. It wouldn't start on the first crank and even on the second attempt it was extended. He changed filters and it started ok, then he hauled some water to his cattle and filter life went from 100% to zero in just a few miles. Put another filter on now it won't even start. He had been using the plastic wix filter and admitted to me it had been a long time since he had changed the filter, like 30,000+ miles! My guess is he had a dirty or plugged filter and got some bad fuel and may have wrecked his pump. It only has 60K on it. He called the dealership and they said if he was using that Wix filter he may be screwed. He will find out this week what the damage is and I'll report as I am very curious.
Okay, fill me in, what's wrong with the Wix fuel filter? I use them occasionally if I happen to buy from Napa. I've heard that Wix and Napa are the same. This is on an LLY, maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Okay, fill me in, what's wrong with the Wix fuel filter? I use them occasionally if I happen to buy from Napa. I've heard that Wix and Napa are the same. This is on an LLY, maybe that makes a difference.
Those filters don't have the coalescing media like the Delco/racor filters do. That media helps to trap fine water particles. I also believe they are a lower micron filtration. I have also heard the internals of the wix inferior to the oem. I'm sure others can chime in.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts