Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Ladies & Gent's
I own a 1987 1 ton Sierra 3500 , I have rebuilt the 6.2L engine , new head's , new piston's , new oil pan , new timming chain and gear's , new clutch and fly wheel , new rad , new fuel pump , new glow plug's , NEW NEW NEW , except 1 little problem happened this past sunday , I picked up a rock in the rad and a large bang , i beleave it broke the crank and broke the starter and oil pan , i also beleave it would have broken the webbing in the block ,along with a large hole in the rad with the rock still sticking out
, I have called my insurance company (will let you know) but my truck is mint , head ache rack , new tire's , sand blasted wheel's , new spring's , new windshield , if you saw this truck its show room , little showing of rust in cab corners , I have a 5th wheel hitch and 15k pound 2 1/2 inch hitch , back up light's , driving light's , custom tape/cd deck

im interested in skipping the 6.5L and going right to the duramax 6.6L anyone ever done it ? what's needed , bellhousing bolt up ? new starter? how about wiring
Id' like to keep the 3 speed manual just beacuse it's bullet proof but if need be the allison would be in there as well .

Thanks
Gene Gritner
P.S. anyone got a wrecked 2004 duramax?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Not sure if the it will bolt up or not, but it would be worth the try!!! used/new DMAXs on ebay are going for 3-6k. Seems pricy compared to a good used 6.2 block that can be rebuilt nicely...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nassdmax,

the 6.2L is to light , many many 6.2's have left their gut's on the side of the road , the 6.5L has 250 pounds of extra meat in the bottom end , and im hearing so many good thing's about the duramax.
Id like one , but $$$$ expencive , and i can buy a rebuilt 6.5 for 5900.00 canadian .

Gene Gritner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts