Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been a lot of discussion about block heaters and that they don't work above 0 degrees. Could something else be used without throwing the codes?

They used to make an oil dipstick that had a plug in, you pulled the regular dipstick and replaced it with the electric one and it kept your oil pan warm. Seems like having the oil warmer would be better for engine that having the water heated anyway.

Electric blankets?

Heat wires? Like you use around water pipes in barns.

Small electric heaters placed under the hood. The block heaters take 1500 watts, so do many of the standard heaters so it wouldn't cost any more to run, just put a small one under the hood and point it towards the engine.

There have to be other ideas out there. Do you all think any of these would work and do you think they would also throw the codes?

Just interested in opinions or if someone has tried any of these ideas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something to think about:

Electricity from ComEd (here in Northern Illinois) is about 11.9 cents per kilowatt-hour (1000 watt/hour).

So if you plug in your 1500 watt block heater for 12 hours (6pm to 6am)

you get: 1.5kw (heater rating) x .119 (electricity cost) x 12 hours (plug in time) = $2.142 per night.

Now if you put your heater on a timer you can cut that time and expense in half. Run the timer to turn on at midnight.

It's been really cold here. I have been plugging in my block here for about the last week. I figure if it cost me an extra $25 or $30 to protect my $42,000 truck, it's money well spent.

Your going to spend at least $30 to change your oil... and wax...

Additionally, the block heater is already installed, why take a chance of causing unneccessary damage to your truck engine by using heat tape or other methods.

I have not had any problems with using the block heater. NO CODES, no problems.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I have not had any problems w/block heater codes. WHere are you in N IL. im in garden prairie, com ed sure stuck it to use this year didnt they?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
LDW;1584063; said:
There has been a lot of discussion about block heaters and that they don't work above 0 degrees. Could something else be used without throwing the codes?

They used to make an oil dipstick that had a plug in, you pulled the regular dipstick and replaced it with the electric one and it kept your oil pan warm. Seems like having the oil warmer would be better for engine that having the water heated anyway.

Electric blankets?

Heat wires? Like you use around water pipes in barns.

Small electric heaters placed under the hood. The block heaters take 1500 watts, so do many of the standard heaters so it wouldn't cost any more to run, just put a small one under the hood and point it towards the engine.

There have to be other ideas out there. Do you all think any of these would work and do you think they would also throw the codes?

Just interested in opinions or if someone has tried any of these ideas.
Better than a oil dipstick thingy is what I have used on my heavy equipment---an app.3''X5'' magnetic heater that I place on an oil pan--works great.I've never used it on my '06,but I have a feeling if the temp.was'nt high enough,you probably would throw a code.Sorry,but I don't feel like being the guinea pig.Just make sure you're plugged in for more than 4 hours and you'll be fine if it's warmer than 0*.{With the block heater I mean}

1 - 4 of 4 Posts