Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my truck has set for a few days without being started, It smokes pretty bad for the first 5 minutes or so when starting it up.
It has 140000 mi. Is this the beginning of injector failure?

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Doing it in colder weather is somewhat acceptable as long as it goes away completely as it warms up. Did you own the truck last winter?

I haven't had an 01 in a couple of years but IIRC it would smoke pretty good anytime the OAT's got below freezing. Hopefully some other members will confirm this.

Will your superchips monitor balance rates? Also check your oil dipstick for diesel smell and being overfull.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd just write it off as it bieng a diesel. They will do these things, and without an explanation. We have an 05 Excursion (6.0L, No problems), and that will smoke (white) worse than my DMAX in cold weather. A cloud of this whiteish-blueish smoke I would have to assume is normal seeing as how both of our diesels do it in cold weather and even continues out on the road for a short while on occasion.

·
Registered
514 Posts
clancutters;1556891; said:
I'd just write it off as it bieng a diesel. They will do these things, and without an explanation. We have an 05 Excursion (6.0L, No problems), and that will smoke (white) worse than my DMAX in cold weather. A cloud of this whiteish-blueish smoke I would have to assume is normal seeing as how both of our diesels do it in cold weather and even continues out on the road for a short while on occasion.
I have a friend with a 06 Ford which smokes every time when he starts it. Here in AZ mine never smokes when I start it but I keep it in a garage. Last weekend I was out camping in 18 degree weather and when I started it showed no smoke so I am not sure whether or not smoke is normal for DMax. I have 51K on my 03...My $.02..Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.