Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but if on star can run diagnostics on your truck, could GM use it to detect a programmer or tuner box and void your warrranty?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If they wanted to they sure can, now if they do it I do not know.

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
I know everyone has heard my feeling on this issue...

But I still have no idea how they could possibly tell. Steve can you explain (technically) how they could possibly do that?

As far as I know you cant even tell with a Tech 2 if a tune is loaded into the ECM. I know this/assume this because I took my truck into the dealer with a dieing ECM that had a PPE 90hp tune loaded onto it. The dealer probed the heck out of the ECM with a Tech 2 and finally replaced it under warentee. Did they have ANY idea that I had a tune loaded in? nope... :confused:

--ben

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
They could tell when they see going 140mph or doing 0-100mph in 12 seconds. :D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Onstar can ask the ECM for data, this is how they get the trouble codes for you and tell you whats wrong. Another item of the nearly 1000 items they can ask for is the CVN for the code. If you code is non stock the CVN will come up wrong and your busted plain and simple. This is the most simple way but they can also ask for any address of the code and it will sent that to them. What would you think if they asked for the data for the speed limiter and it wasn't what the factory set it for? I can think of at least 100 other ways they can do it but I think you get the point.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The big question is would they? answer, most likely not......
Gm has enough to deal with than to try and bust folks for buying their on-star in the first place, can you imagine if that got out, (warranty void due to on-star rat)..... That would be a sure way to sell less on-star packages......

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Good God guys, GM reads these forums. Don't give them any ideas. The money they would save on warranty work alone. wow. There has to be a way they can check for deviations of parameters anyway.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Good God guys, GM reads these forums. Don't give them any ideas. The money they would save on warranty work alone. wow. There has to be a way they can check for deviations of parameters anyway.
Unplug the OnStar fuse.......communications go bye-bye!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
...can you imagine if that got out, (warranty void due to on-star rat)..... That would be a sure way to sell less on-star packages......
That's exactly why I ordered mine without Onstar. Probably needless paranoia, but I don't trust things I don't understand completely. :shake:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's exactly why I ordered mine without Onstar. Probably needless paranoia, but I don't trust things I don't understand completely. :shake:
Oh, I'm sure it's a good system. I just don't care to pay the extra $20 or $30 a month for something I don't need. Once my one-year subscription is gone, I'm done. I run a Garmin GPS, so I don't need their directions...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was talking with Onstar the other day about some membership information and they ran a diagnostic on my truck and said everything was fine. I guess they wouldn't tell me if GM was watching me and my Edge.

Another case of "The Man" coming down on me!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
826 Posts

I certainly hope they have better things to do with their time than look at a million posts about putting 285s on stock wheels and getting 7000 pound trucks in the 7 second 0-60 range.

·
Registered
826 Posts

I would never get Onstar on a vehicle. Someday I might want to be a fugitive. It would be really nice for Onstar to shut off my engine, lock the doors and notify the police of my location. Too much big brother for me.

Heard a story (probably urban legend) about a guy who was off-roading out west and had a little accident that deployed air bags and notified Onstar called the police and told them of the location of the accident. The guy in the truck was able to continue on home because his truck was not badly damaged. The police used a chopper and maybe even the forrest service to look for the accident. Basically in the end the guy got a serious ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. AN OFF-ROAD ACCIDENT!!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I certainly hope they have better things to do with their time than look at a million posts about putting 285s on stock wheels and getting 7000 pound trucks in the 7 second 0-60 range.
They read them to look at the problems that we are encountering. Look at the changes that has went through the d-max since it's inception. I'll bet some of that came from some of the things mentioned on this forum. We are more or less product testing for GM. I know If I were GM, I would read different forums. This is just my opinion though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Do you don't think there are Duramax performance enthusiast engineers working at GM who read the forums, but don't make it known to us?? HAHAHAHAHA :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Do you don't think there are Duramax performance enthusiast engineers working at GM who read the forums, but don't make it known to us?? HAHAHAHAHA :rolleyes:
exactly.....the LBZ is just an edged LLY and we all know it. :ro)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If you look at the calibration web site the CVN is clearly shown there along with the calibration. Why do you think they put that in there? This isn't something I've brought up they have done it long ago. I'm just letting you know it's one of many things they already have in place to look for changes in the code. Every dealer out there is suppose to check but they do not most of the time, I'm just letting you know so you know what your getting into.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
If you look at the calibration web site the CVN is clearly shown there along with the calibration. Why do you think they put that in there? This isn't something I've brought up they have done it long ago. I'm just letting you know it's one of many things they already have in place to look for changes in the code. Every dealer out there is suppose to check but they do not most of the time, I'm just letting you know so you know what your getting into.
Oh I know you didn't bring it up. I didn't mean it in a bad way. Sorry if I came across that way.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Answer is simple......yes they can.......do they or would they? I would think they have better things to do. Besideds......I'm sure GM isnt stupid. They know Guys mod thier trucks but also alot of guys buy thier trucks knowing they would mod em. If they wanted to make it so much of a PITA to mod them that it would be cost prohibitive for most people they could.....but think of the sales they would lose. Now will they possibly keep a database of possible modded trucks so if the owners come in and say "gee, I blew up my turbo and my trans" they can cross reference it? I dont see a problem with that and I would look into that if I were them......but if you think sending a letter to anyone they detect with a tow program saying your screwed warantee wise.....even GM isnt stupid enough to not be able to see what that would do to thier bottom line.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts