Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound familiar but here it goes anyway. I put about 200 miles on the last tank of Polar diesel fuel when the engine did the cough sputter and die symptom. Since then I replaced the fuel filter and performed the lift pump test. With the engine running and the T-valve (next to the thermostat housing) open, I get a generous amount of fuel flowing out the drain hose. The behavior of the engine, currently, is very consistent. On cold start-up the motor runs very smooth for about 5 minutes. With the T-valve open the engine continues to run smoothly during this 5 minute period. After that time the engine will cut out momentarily several times and will eventually quit. I am able to re-start the motor for a short period of time after this and if I open the T-valve before the motor stops again I get a good flow of fuel out the T-valve drain line. If I open the valve on top of the fuel filter I think I see a few bubbles come out along with fuel. The fuel looks clean and clear. During this trouble shooting the diesel fuel cap on the fuel tank is loose. I am not sure where to go from here. Could my problem be mechanical, somewhere in the fuel lines or fuel tank. I think I will look at the electrical connection to the IP. Is the fuel solenoid electrical connection a ground connection when the engine is running? I've been riding the bus to work for the last week and I want to start driving my truck again! Thanks, MJ.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Did you check grounds and clean all power cables (battery).
Perform a lift pump pressure check minimum 4 psi (?).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Can you post the checklist from the sticky thread with your results.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
If you've checked and cleaned the wiring\cable connections, you may need to look at the FSD\PMD on the Inj Pump as likely culprit.

Winterize the electrical first, tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chek list information

1.Lift pump test - describe results operates correctly
2.Service Engine Light - on/off/intermittent off
3.Model year 1996
3a. Odometer reading 169000
3b. Miles on major engine components if been replaced unknown
4.Do you have any engine codes? Yes or No.
5.If you do have engine codes - what are they?
6.Air Filter condition (visual check) new 1000 miles ago
7.Fuel filter condition (freshly changed or condition unknown) New
8.Condition of Battery terminal connections (cleaned and tightened) new batteries and connections
8A.Known condition and age of the batteries. New
8B.Are batteries of differing age or are they a matched set? matched
9.Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/no
10.Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes/no
11.Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? No, new glow plugs 2 weeks ago
12.Have you used the block heater, and does this effect engine starting? yes/yes
13.During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Yes/no
14.Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues? no
15.Turbo check out - pass/fail Unknown
16.Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code)
17.Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD.
18.Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-diesel, #2 Diesel, #1Diesel, SVO/WVO, other: blend Polar Diesel
19.Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list. NAPA Mac's Diesel fuel anti-gel, CRC Diesel Dry
20.Please indicate geographic region you are in: (example: Texas or Canada) Minnesota
21.Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having? None
22.Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better. looks stock
23.Upon unscrewing the fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? yes/no moderate vacuum
24.Location of PMD/FSD? On the pump/remoted over intake/remoted out of engine bay (please specify specifically)
25.Are ALL glow plugs in proper working order as per this thread? they are new

I will work on the electrical connections when I get back from a weekend trip to warmer weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel pressure check

With regard to the fuel pressure check: Is there a connection point in the fuel system where I can connect a pressure gage, and if so where is it?
thanks, MJ

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You can use a tee at the inlet to the IP. You could also open the drain valve and connect it there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts