Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a quote of 1500+ at a chev dealer to replace the starter in my 2004 cab/chasis 3500. They need to remove the exhaust to get to it. Any comments on this? Am I getting taken?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thanks, they are saying the starter is like 800. they/I dont want to put all the labor into it and have an aftermarket be defective.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You do not need to pull the exhaust... All I had to do to get mine out was take the upper exhaust clamp off to give you a little more wiggle room... had it done in about an hour laying on my back underneath the truck... Unpleasnt without a jack but nonetheless its a pretty easy job...

If you dont like the whole ebay deal go out to a wreckers and get a starter from them... they usually come with a months warrenty and are wayy cheaper than new.

·
Registered
245 Posts
it's even easier to take the 3 or 4 bolts (cant remember for sure) out of the motor mount and then jack the motor up, it will turn toward the drivers side and them the starter will come right out.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I googled it and saw a NEW starter for a duramax on ebay for 85 +15 shipping. That would mean 1400 for labor. Sounds a wee bit high.

jb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...emQQimsxZ20090307?IMSfp=TL0903071910017r19686

Other online sources are in the 150 to 200 range.
Don't get it. My dads LB7 started "not engaging" a few weeks after he bought it. We assumed it was a starter so he bought one of those cheapo ebay Hitachis and it was way worse. We ended up getting one from Oreillys and its worked perfect ever since. The whole problem is the roller clutch in the starter drive, they don't always hold.

On a LB7 it takes about 20 minutes to change a starter if things go smooth. Take your gear wrench and get the two bolts out holding it to the engine. Yank your cables off, air ratchet and rip that exhaust clamp off, pry the exhaust back and drag it out of there. Its pie but I've done a few of these too.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
But you still want high quality that will last not no cheap stuff, where is this starter made?
For $800 you can replace alot of starters with cheap ones. I did a rebuilt one from a local auto parts store for like $150. 1.5 year's and 35k and's it's still going strong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
take inner fender out and u can get right to it

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It just seems to me that the dealer who is quoting $1500 for the job is bordering on criminal. Probably part of GM's overall problems...dishonest dealers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
mines been doing the skippy thing for probably over 2 years. just dont want to pony up $1000 for a new one at the dealership here, which sucks because i want to use my remote start :(

and im not about to use one of those cheap ebay starters, i'd rather just pay the premium and fix it right.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Don't get it. My dads LB7 started "not engaging" a few weeks after he bought it. We assumed it was a starter so he bought one of those cheapo ebay Hitachis and it was way worse. We ended up getting one from Oreillys and its worked perfect ever since. The whole problem is the roller clutch in the starter drive, they don't always hold.
Isn't a Hitachi Starter a Hitachi Starter?
Was the "cheap-o eBay" starter a rebuilt?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The OEM starter from GM is $800. It is made by Hitachi...

·
Registered
546 Posts
i can tell you that the SRT time on replacing the starter is 2.5 hours

at my shop that is $247.50

but then i work in a class 8 shop

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you have a local starter/motor re-build shop, and you can afford the down time, get yours re-built. It will last way longer than a re-man. We have a guy about 20 miles away that has been rebuilding them for 40+ years.....they are outstanding & very reasonable in $.

RD

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
When I did the water pump replacement and took my starter off to lock the motor I took the passenger tire off and with some long extension took it out that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts