Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Silverado 2500HD ECSB 8.1L 4x4
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished bolting my transfer case back together after installing the MA pump rub kit. The instructions on the Merchant website indicate the proper bolt torque is 45 ft-lbs. However, another writeup regarding the same procedure, lists the torque as 34 ft-lbs.

Which is the correct value, and if it's 34 and I did 45, how big of a deal is it? :confused:

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was trying to torque mine to 45 ft-lbs and ended up breaking off one of the bolts in the case. I was using a torque wrench at the time. I dialed it down to 35 for the rest.

I did not have a good way to fix it, so I ended up leaving it. It is on the top side of the case, so I think it will be OK. This was almost 2 months ago and so far so good.

Greg

·
Registered
2002 Silverado 2500HD ECSB 8.1L 4x4
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was trying to torque mine to 45 ft-lbs and ended up breaking off one of the bolts in the case. I was using a torque wrench at the time. I dialed it down to 35 for the rest.

I did not have a good way to fix it, so I ended up leaving it. It is on the top side of the case, so I think it will be OK. This was almost 2 months ago and so far so good.

Greg
Yeah, I was finding that 45 seemed VERY tight, I dialed back my torque wrench to 41 and still had some difficulty. I think the bolts may have been bottomed out in a few of the holes, when trying for 45. I managed to not break anything, and drove the truck today and all seems well.

Thanks for your input!
Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts