Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting one to use on the farm. I think I want it as small as possible to carry in my truck tool box but as many ft lbs of torque for those tough jobs. What brand & size does anyone have or recomend? I dont have easy acess to snap-on or mac so i was thinking dewalt , milwaukee or something i could order or get local.

·
Registered
797 Posts
From my racing days and changing tires at the track without taking a compressor with me, I purchased an Ingersoll-Rand 250ft lbs Electric/Cordless Impact...has always done the job.

Online search at www.IRtools.com shows a #W360 1/2 impact at 360 ft lbs. looks a lot beefier than my older IR Impact. Not sure how much ??

IR should be available at most aftermarket parts suppliers, other brands like you mentioned should also be suitable for the job.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt think about IR having one, I have their air impacts in 3/8,1/2 & 3/4 & am completly satisfied with them.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
We have the 18v Dewalt and it works great. You also might want to get a car charger.;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you have any other rechargable tools, you might think of getting one that is compatible with the batteries you already have.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
for a 3/8 I would HIGHLY reccommend a makita 14.4v. We use them at Caterpillar proving grounds. Virtually indestructable. Has a led above the trigger. lights up dark areas good. I quit using my 3/8 air impact just used the cordless one. Batteries lasted longer than any cordless tool I have ever seen. Good power too

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have the Makita 24v 1/2" . Best "travel" tool I have, changed more than 1 tire while on the road, my Son and I play Nascar, 25 minutes start to finish to change a tire on the Fifthwheel! I did all 6 off and 4 on when I bought new tires, not bad they were torqued to 130 ftlb's

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I have a 14.4 Dewalt that works great for getting into tight places. I use it for odds and end stuff...spring clamps, T-bars, etc. Sometimes it don't have the zip to pull lugs if the bat is not fully charged.
That darn 28V Milwaukee is HUGE! It will twist your arm off. Moss and WIHuck have them and I see them use them all the time. I use my 14.4 for the small stuff and borrow the 28v for the big stuff. They both serve their purpose.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Dewalt now has a 36v impact wrench out..pretty pricy but i think it said 1400 rpms and 325lbs or tq

·
Registered
919 Posts
hemisareslow;1581979; said:
Dewalt now has a 36v impact wrench out..pretty pricy but i think it said 1400 rpms and 325lbs or tq

Just noticed this as well. Got my Granger catalog the other day at work and was going through it and saw the 36V Dewalt cordless impact. Grainger price is $544.50.:eek: But it sure would be handy to have. Especially working on pivots in the middle of a cornfield during irrigation season.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i bought a dewalt 18v 1/2 drive off ebay for about 150 bucks i think. of course this was right before they introduced the 36 volt line of tools. they may have a 24 volt one as well, they do make a few 24v tools. the 18v i have would remove the lug nuts off the ol 89 one ton i had. my buddy has a snap on cordless impact. it is more powerful than the little dewalt i have, but cost alot more.

which ever brand you choose, GET A CAR CHARGER!!! (or an inverter)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess they are like my air tools, one size is not gonna fit every job. Wish they made a 3/8 that would turn up to a 3/4 when you needed it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
myojunk;1582772; said:
i bought a dewalt 18v 1/2 drive off ebay for about 150 bucks i think. of course this was right before they introduced the 36 volt line of tools.
I did the same

·
Registered
150 Posts
RickDLance;1581164; said:
We have the 18v Dewalt and it works great. You also might want to get a car charger.;)
X2 Love my DeWalt... 18v 1/2" drive...

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I have a 28v milwaukee. A little bulky, but works great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stopped by tool store today thinking hard about IR because of their air tools. They had IR & Dewalt in stock but the tool dude started talking me out of IR & pushing Dewalt because of warranty claims & customer feedback.:confused:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Essman;1590871; said:
Stopped by tool store today thinking hard about IR because of their air tools. They had IR & Dewalt in stock but the tool dude started talking me out of IR & pushing Dewalt because of warranty claims & customer feedback.:confused:

Both are good tools...maybe this dealer has a higher profit from the Dewalt, so that is what he prefers to sell.

I would ask others (including online reviews) regarding customer reviews, on both the models and makes, just so you are happy with your potential purchase.

Or ask you tool dude for specific warranty claims and feedback issues, on both makes !!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts