Diesel Place banner

Cooling Issue

Question: 
1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  UKAlan 
I know this has been an issue with the 6.5 and has been discussed for years.
I have a 1995 C2500 Suburban. New heads were installed about 30,000 mile ago. Had a blown head gasket on the forward right hand cylinder.
Installed new heads and at the same time upgraded the water pump to a HP, new Hummer 10 blade fan and Hayden severe duty clutch and changed from single T-Stat to dual.
I'm the original owner, bought it new. Never really had heating issues until I did these up dates.
So if i'm sitting for a even a short period of time the temp starts to climb and of course going up an incline, same thing. When driving temps stays around 190 or so, as best as I can tell from the factory gauge.
The stack is clean and I even within the last couple of years installed a new Radiator, and not one from the local Auto parts places, a high quality radiator.
I don't drive this Suburban much anymore, Maybe 3,000 miles a year to go from the Dallas area to southern Colorado. Going through New Mexico in the summer can be a little bit of a challenge to keep the temp down, especially with climbing a grade or idling.
Last year I installed another new Hayden clutch, however that didn't help.
Any thoughts or advice?
When you installed the dual stat mod did you also install a Bypass Restrictor Fitting ( BRF) onto the water pump crossover to help balance the coolant flows?

Reactions: Dadddyoh
No I did not installed a BFR. I know Leroy sells them. Lot of opinions about those. I guess it couldn't hurt to installed it.

I guess i could put my old single system back on and see what happens. Again, lots of opinions about how much better the dual is.
Thanks all for your input.
Years ago Bill Heath did the research on the cooling issues and found that adding a bypass restrictor fitting helped. Which he added to his cooling upgrade kits.
You can read the review from Bill here:

Attachments

Reactions: UKAlan and Dadddyoh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.