Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

Would how far you thread in the coolant sensor affect it's temp reading? is this in far enough? It didn't want to go any further with a decent amount of torque, and I didn't want to force it. It's not leaking. The reading does seem to be on the cool side though...although I replaced the old sensor because the shop that put my cylinder heads on said it was reading about 10 degrees hotter than real temp.

Can it be installed too far? This is the AC Delco unit.

I just ran the preston flush and drained...is it necessary to wait 'til the engine cools off to fill with water, run it and flush?

THanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Depth won't make a difference. The needle in the dash is not precise.
How could they know the real temp? Infrared temperature gun, resistance of sensor vs resistance chart, scanner reading vs needle?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heymccall. I thought it probably wouldn't affect it, but i'm just not taking any chances I don't have to.

with the new sensor installed, the radiator flush and degreaser run though it, drained and now with water it's reading on the low side...but the engine also feels cooler than I used to also.

Today i'll finish flushing the radiator and install the new thermostat and should be good to go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,730 Posts
Those are pipe thread (NPT), it cannot go deeper than that.
Well, it probably will go deeper but you are running the chance of cracking the hole.

At least with some of the NPT parts I have dealts with.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JMJNet. Just seems like it wasn't in as deep as the other, and didn't want to have it incorrectly installed and/or not read correctly.

I'll probably never know if the other was getting inaccurate or not...I was thinking after 25 years it couldn't hurt to put a new one in, they're inexpensive.

I may not have a cooling issue at all. I'll get it up to temp once I have coolant in it and check with a thermometer gun.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
In your picture, it looks like the green wire going to the connector looks like it might be frayed. Is that possible? A little hard to see in the picture for sure.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,730 Posts
Thanks JMJNet. Just seems like it wasn't in as deep as the other, and didn't want to have it incorrectly installed and/or not read correctly.

I'll probably never know if the other was getting inaccurate or not...I was thinking after 25 years it couldn't hurt to put a new one in, they're inexpensive.

I may not have a cooling issue at all. I'll get it up to temp once I have coolant in it and check with a thermometer gun.
When you just flushed the coolant, you may want to drive it around until all the air is purged.
Then wait till morning and see if you need to add coolant.

At that point, temperature is important but it will be unstable till everything equalized.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JMJNet,

Just ran it again to circulate the water. Cracked the bleeder valve after it was up to temp (as judged by IR gun...not the gauge) and just a bubble of air came out. Draining now. At this point the temp gauge seems to be reading low compared to my IR gun at the thermostat housing...I wish it was accurate. Hopefully it will settle out after I change the T stat, add coolant and bleed the system of air.

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts
Thanks JMJNet,

Just ran it again to circulate the water. Cracked the bleeder valve after it was up to temp (as judged by IR gun...not the gauge) and just a bubble of air came out. Draining now. At this point the temp gauge seems to be reading low compared to my IR gun at the thermostat housing...I wish it was accurate. Hopefully it will settle out after I change the T stat, add coolant and bleed the system of air.
Keep in mind that you will be burping air out of the system quite a bit..
It may take a day or more to get it fully purged

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sensor and new T-Stat are in and everything is buttoned up with no apparent leaks.

Coolant temp sensor/temp gauge reading about 18 degrees cooler than reality which I don't like. Wish it was more sensitive and accurate, but it will have to do for now. I'll just note that two marks down from 210 is the danger zone.

Temp stayed very consistent on a test drive though. Just fluctuated between 170 and 180 on the gauge...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just a thought.......have you calibrated the temperature gun against , say, a boiling saucepan of water ?:2cents:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where did you get the replacement temp sensor? Everywhere I go they seem to have the sensor with the two prongs. My truck only has one prong and the one I got at NAPA wont fit. I tried Oreilleys, Advanced Auto and Autozone as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trip443, I got it off Amazon. It's the AC Delco part. Search for

ACDelco 213-77 GM Original Equipment Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trip443, I got it off Amazon. It's the AC Delco part. Search for

ACDelco 213-77 GM Original Equipment Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

Did you have to break a tab off? I all I see are two tab sensors

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trip443,

I did not, the connector seemed to plug in just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh boy, I have made a fool of myself. I didn't remember the blank slot in the "middle" of my connector when I went to the store. I thought somewhere out there was a sensor with only one tab and it must be hard to find. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trip443,

Not at all! If it wasn't for the parts list posted here i'm sure i'd have a lot tougher time finding the right parts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts