Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coolant is leaking from one of the water pump studs. It's the one the bracket for the PS pump sits on. It might have moved yesterday when I retightened the PS pump belt.

How do I fix that? Take the PS pump loose, tighten the stud and hope it stops leaking? Please don't tell me I have to take the water pump off again and redo it ... I need to get that fixed today ...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Take that bolt out and apply thread sealant to it and put it back in.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'll do that ... To the whole bolt, I guess? And lots of sealant? Should I iet it dry some before putting the bolt back in or put it right in? Squeeze some sealant into the bolt hole maybe?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
You don't need to be a liberal about putting the sealant on :lol:, a little goes a long way. Only apply it to the threads of the bolt. A good high temp silicone will also work. If you are able to apply the proper torque to that bolt without stripping the threads, then the tolerances are close enough that you don't have to worry about cure or dry time.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, I got the bolt out, it was sitting loose.

But when I take the bolt out of the hole, coolant runs out the hole in a stream. When I put the bolt back in a bit, it more or less stops leaking --- there's resistance in there, probably sealant between the pump and the pump plate. That sealant seems to stop the leaking.

What does this tell me? Is the coolant coming from all the way through the thread for the bolt in the block? Or is running from the pump into the bolt hole because the sealing between pump and pump plate is bad?

I'm somewhat afraid that coolant could get into the engine oil ...

PS: When installing the pump, I didn't put sealant on the threads of the bolts. Was I supposed to do that?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,097 Posts
Well if the bolts go through any water jackets,then you should put a little bit of sealer to the threads.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Take that bolt out and apply thread sealant to it and put it back in.
Would be a good idea to get the other three since you didn't when putting the pump on. Those bolt holes are in a coolant jacket of the block.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I don't know if they do. I followed the instructions in the Haynes manual, they didn't say anything about putting sealant on the bolt threads.

It looks to me like it's coming out of a water passage in the block. It has been leaking some, but more or less stopped. If it was running down through the pump from the radiator, I think it more coolant would run out. I'll check the level in the radiator once the bolt is back in.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Would be a good idea to get the other three since you didn't when putting the pump on. Those bolt holes are in a coolant jacket of the block.
Oh, ok. Afair there are more then three --- do you know which ones go into a coolant passage?

PS: I'll take some pictures of the old pump (still have it laying around) later and number the bolts, that should make it easy to tell which bolts need sealant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.