Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I crawl underneath to start the R&R of the ABS and see coolant on the bottom of the bellhousing. I pull the inspection cover and it does not appear to be coming from inside. Since it is on the drivers side I am going to guess oil cooler.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does not look like it is coming from above. There was some dampness on the oil cooler then also the wiring loom to the oil level sensor. It looks like it might run down the cooler/filter housing then hit the wiring loom to the bell housing. I sprayed everything down and will check again later. I have never replaced any of the o-rings/gaskets on the oil cooler/filter head assembly.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was under my van tonight. It doesn't look too bad to remove the cooler. But I'd still remove the engine cover to examine it better.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I had the doghouse off today I looked all over the top and could not see anything dripping down.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just did mine recently and it isn't too bad to replace. Probably the hardest part was the front 2 nuts on the waterpump. It's actually easier on the van, a first!! There isn't 4 wheel drive parts in the way. I removed the driver side tire and the skirt for easy access. I recommend a 6 point #12 socket 1/4 inch drive or a super long extension as there isn't much room. I had to Dremel and split one of the nuts because I stripped one of them. I used all GM parts and they bend you over pretty good for simple o-rings and gaskets. I didn't use any gasket cement on the gaskets and the gasket leaked on the water pump. I did use it when I replaced the water pump a few weeks later. My o-rings on the coolant pipe was hard as a rock and was the cause of my leak. I could have probably gotten away with just replacing it and the water pump gasket but figured since I had it out I would insure that I wouldn't have to do it again

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you have to remove the cooler to replace gaskets I think I will just replace it. I am looking at going with the cooler from the 17-19 L5P. It has about 40% more oil cooling capacity and is like 1/2 the $$$ of the previous cooler. A couple of issues that might arise are different bolt lengths and the plugs might be metric.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
905 Posts
mine was showing coolant on bell housing and i looked and looked.....ended up being the coolant line running to the turbo...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts