Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the beginning of this month, I noticed that my DIC has been reading "Low Coolant Level". I let it go for about another couple days hoping nothing would happen. So I start the truck one day, it was about 35* outside and the engine would not heat up. I was already late for class so I drive to class. Got to campus, turned off the truck and on the Attitude, my engine temperature was still around 110* and then when I turned it off, the temp box flashed 185*. I thought that was weird. Made it to class and came back to the truck at the end of class...about an hour later. I turned on the truck and the eng temp box started at 135*. I started heading down the road and it started climbing up and up and once it got to 236* (I've never had it this high...never passed 205*), I pulled over. Turned off the truck and let it sit. I got out opened the hood and noticed liquid on the side of the truck. It was coolant that sprayed the whole right fenderwell and right side of the truck.

I took it easy on the pedal to my buddies shop and had him look at it. He checked the pressure and it read okay. He thought maybe the cap needed changing so I changed it. He added more coolant and told me to come back the next day. The coolant still kept on going low and noticed some coolant spackles on the fenderwell and UCA. Took it back to my buddy and added more coolant...didn't help any...just free coolant. I just kept on adding coolant/water to it.

So last Saturday, Feb. 10, I took it to the dealership and got it back on Monday, Feb. 12. The service consultant told me it was the water pump. So under warranty, they changed it. Today I see the same thing. What could it be???? A hose or what? I see a few wet spots underneath my truck.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Loose clamp maybe?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning was ridiculous. I went to go start my truck and let it warm up. I come back inside the house. 10 minutes later I go back out and there's a flood of coolant all over the floor. I call the dealership and tell them what's up. They have a tow truck coming out and picking it up (bill's on them). This is frustrating me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the items the dealership fixed the first time it went in:
-Water pump
-3 gaskets
-2 seals
-Hose
-Clamp

These came from the receipt I got.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Well they were wrong, it is a blown headgasket, and now that you have driven it with no coolant it likely has warped heads since these trucks have aluminum heads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There has always been coolant in the tank everytime I drive...I always checked it and made sure it was okay. Got a call yesterday and the service consultant told me it could be a blown head gasket, cracked block cylinder, or something else. I'm hoping it's just the head gasket. We'll see on Monday.

Oh...the good news...they're not going to fix it under warranty due to the Edge hooked up. ****in' A! I didn't think about taking it off...I was too pissed, I guess.

·
Banned
84 Posts
When you drove it and the temperature stayed at 110 degrees there was no coolant in the top of the engine, it read 110 degrees because the temperature sender was reading air temperature. Coolant would be in the tank on the fender because that is where the escaping pressure would push it to. If it was just a blown head gasket at one point it is killed heads now.

Sorry about the edge thing, that sucks. Better start looking for a new engine since the one in your truck is wasted. They did contribute to the damage though, since they made improper repairs and sent you on your way. You relied on them to get it right and they were not even close, your position if it is more than just blown head gaskets should be that THEY caused the heads to get killed when they failed to make the correct repair.

·
Vendor
3,579 Posts
what is your truck? LBZ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truck's an LLY.

I think I'm going to have them supply everything that's needed to make it right. I am going to have to pay for all of it but I would like them to do something about it...since they did send me on my way with the same problem. I paid $203 so we'll what they do. What should I tell them smsdmax???

·
Banned
84 Posts
Depends on the damage. If it is just a blown head gasket you are lucky and might just eat the repair as penalty for leaving the edge on it for them to see. If the heads are toast the cost of your problem will be huge.

They made the water pump repair under warranty, they tied themselves to the repair of the cooling system problem at that point and assumed responsibility for the repair of the problem that you originally brought to them. I don't see how they can point at the edge and back out now that they think the problem is harder to fix. Still, this is IF the heads are damaged, it will be impossible to determine WHEN they were damaged and you should assert you trusted that they made the right repair and because they didn't you ended up driving it with confidence only to have it get worse. This means the original warranty repair should be opened back up to properly fix it. It should have been fixed the first time, they were incompetent for thinking a blown head gasket was a bad water pump.

·
Registered
706 Posts
take the edge off and go to a different dealer and say you broke down near them. or call edge and tell them what is going on and maybe they will help you somehow. that sucks though keep us updated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little update:
The guy calls me 2 days ago and tells me that the heads ARE warped. They pressure tested them and the measurements were over the limit or whatever. Now it's not under warranty and it's going to cost me almost 8K. I might as well buy a whole new engine!

So then yesterday I went to go talk to them about the price is too high and how I can't afford it. So my dad calls another dealership to see what they can do and tell me to tell the guys to put the truck back how it was and to have it sent somewhere else.

Well, I got a phone call today from another dealership. Henna Chevrolet, where I got my truck, wanted to work a deal with me. But before they could work out "a deal", they told me they can't work on the truck under warranty because GM now knows I have the chip on there. I hate myself right now because I'm such a ****ing dumbass for not taking out the chip. ****!

And I, nor my parents, have 8K to fix the truck at the dealership. So I think we're going to try to get it fixed somewhere else. I have a horrible feeling about this. My dad knows some guys in Fort Worth, Texas (about 2 hours north of me) and will probably have them work on it. I don't trust these guys because 1. they aren't certified mechanics and 2. this is a ****ing diesel engine!...so I'm pretty much sick to my stomach. I'm lost and confused right now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got my truck back. Only ended up paying $3000. GM/stealership took care more than half of the bill. So I got it back Thursday evening. I put back on my Edge chip Friday morning. Late Friday evening, I start hearing this ticking sound coming from the drivers side. Anyone know what this can be? Bad injector? Sounds very faint but noticeable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my truck back again, had the injectors replaced under warranty and now everything is fine...for now I hope. Now, the Edge is still under the hood, just disconnected. My question is would it be a good idea to wait and drive for another couple hundred miles with the new headers and new injectors before I plug the Edge back in or just plug it in?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are you nuts or something? You just got out of an $8000.00 repair bill by the skin of your nuts that you said you could not begin to afford, because of that tuner and now you're wondering if you should hook it back up again???????

DITCH THE EDGE! I don't care what the fine folks at Edge Products say those things are nothing but trouble! Either it causes problems on it's own or you run into warranty issues because you are using it.

Check any forum for GM, Dodge or Ford and you will find PLENTY of guys that are having problems with their diesels. A lot of them are running the Edge. I know you can have problems with any aftermarket preformance component. You can have problems with OEM components. Those things are a recipe for a BIG bill! I don't have any personal vendetta against these products and I'm not out to bad mouth anybody. There is just a common denomnator here that is hard to ignore.

These things are like Vegas. "Only take with you what you can afford to loose". If you can afford to replace your engine if it detonates fine. If you can't than you're foolish to run it. Especially after the close call you just had.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Modified vehicles ALWAYS have much higher failure rates and the owners RARELY take any responsibility. You know how it is in America these days, nobody is EVER at fault for anything, even if it was purely their own actions that caused whatever it is to happen. Being fat, a drunk, addicted, etc are all uncontrollable diseases now instead of the personal choices they REALLY are.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Amen smsdmax! It' surprising that MFG.'s cover anything at all if you modify the origional design. After all they, GM, now have no controll over what is going on inside that engine. Personally I think more folks should go after the aftermarket component manufacturers for the repair bills. OR stop buying their products until thet start standing behind then. As things ar now Edge, Banks, Superchips ETC. basically put out on the market whatever crap they want, make whatever claims they want, and are doing so with impunity. If their customers start demanding better products/service they will have to respond or loose market share to those hwo do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How many miles were on this truck to begin with ? Was the Edge chip in it when they did the first repair and replaced the water pump ?, if so they have then accepted this in doing the first repair under the warrenty. Did you ask them how they know it was the Edge product that made the heads warp or the engine over heat in the first place. I'm not with any company or anything like that , I just don't like to jump to conclusions or see the little guys get shafted. I would think that you would have known if you over heated the engine to make the heads warp in the first place and if that never happened then its not the chip but something else that caused it, and GM just using the chip as an excuse, like the other guys said putting the blame off on something else. So there is more than one way to play the blame game and don't think for one minute that big companies don't do it.

I have a used Edge chip on my 2004.5 LLY, but have not driven much with it due to an accident with the truck. It is in the shop right now and probably will be for some time to come. I only drove the truck with the chip in it for a few thousand miles but never had any problems at all.

Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts