Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've had the truck back for about a week now, and we seem to be loosing coolant, about a gallon a day. There are no marks where we park, so we're not sure what's going on. We had the system flushed Tuesday, but it's still loosing it somewhere.

Any idea why we would be having this problem after having the injectors replaced, and what we should look for/do. I want to avoid the dealer if possible, since we didn't have this before they got a hold of it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If you're losing a gallon a day I don't think you have any other option but re-visit the dealer.To lose that quantity in a day and not see any leaks is a problem you aren't going to be able to address.

I could see if you had to add once because of a air pocket issue or two but every day?Take it in they'll have to run a CO test on the coolant and see if it's being pressurized for a internal leak.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
is there anything during the replacement of injectors that could have caused something along these lines?

First off we're bringing it back to the other shop we went to for the coolant flush. I stupidly grabbed the wrong damn bottle of fluid when it said it was low post-injector replacement... put about a half quart of 15w40 in the sum*****... thats what I get for having the same shape bottles in a dark place, doing any maintainance when it's freakin 5 degrees out and dark.

They couldn't say exactly how much coolant they put in the truck for the flush, so I am going to ensure that they put a full 22? quarts or whatever the manual states in it this time.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Possible that when they pulled the injectors that one of the sleeves moved and the "O" rings arnt sealing.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're losing a gallon a day I don't think you have any other option but re-visit the dealer.To lose that quantity in a day and not see any leaks is a problem you aren't going to be able to address.

I could see if you had to add once because of a air pocket issue or two but every day?Take it in they'll have to run a CO test on the coolant and see if it's being pressurized for a internal leak.

Good luck
I only added it once, we had it flushed yesterday.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I would wait it out Mrs and see what happens. Probably it just burped some air, hopefully .As Mr said they probably shorted you on the flush

By the way that was the avatar I was going to vote you use but I forgot to post!

There are NO sleeves in a LLY but the injector could be not sealed properly in the head.If it was pressurizing you would see a wet fender liner and drips.

Good luck Mr and Mrs!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Coolant loss without external leakes immediately after injector replacement = leaking sleeves. No doubt about it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I don't like giving false info when at all possible.With the redesign of the LLY heads I thought they did away with the sleeves.

I thought Eric posted it awhile back.Can we decide if they do or not? :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Just trying to be funny,;) my truck is going though head gasket replace. but not a gallon a day.:eek:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If its the sleeve seals leaking, more than likely into the combustion chamber, although might be possible to blow it past the seals into the valve cover area. Hopefully they will do a test for CO in the coolant, might show up in that test.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, had my injectors replaced 5 or 6 weeks ago, got it back and it poured white smoke out of the exhaust on start up. took them 2 1/2 weeks to install the injectors.

I take it back and they "know" what the problem is, coolant is in 2, 4, 6, and 8 cylinders. After two more weeks I get it back from this and it leaks even worse. I wish they would just give me the parts and let me do the work.

Jason.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
In my opinion when ever the injectors are replaced in an LB7 the injector sleeves should be removed and inspected.The seal made from the combustion chamber to the sleeve is with a Locktite substance,any movement during injector replacement can compromise this.A leak there can etch the cylinder head leading to head replacement.The o-rings only stop the coolant from leaking externally,not into the combustion chamber.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Let me edit that o-ring leaking externally,would leak coolant into valve train area thus into your oil,not good!No coolant in oil no leaking o-rings?Yupper!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Fortunatly, I always check to make sure the sleeve stayed seated. Out of all the trucks I have done only 2 ever had a sleeve move or come out with the injector. Could tell when it was going to happen, injector was hard to pull and ended up with a sleeve coming out with it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Ok, so if it's actually eating fluid and not just burping air from the system:

Either an o-ring or a sleeve is jacked up, either juicing up my oil dexcool style, or it's helping with the smoke show via unplanned water-glycol injection into the combustion chamber.

Is that right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts