Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck is an 05 lly and has 40000 miles, and the coolant is looking brownish in the overflow tank. any suggestions??? i have red that dex-cool is no good so what am i supposed to use??

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Dexcool is the OEM coolant, and is recommended for our trucks. The Dexcool in my truck is still red, and mine is an 04.5 and I have 51k on the odometer. Has your truck overheated, or perhaps has your coolant been contaminated by something?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Well itll sort of turn a little brownish. Also "puke" tank will get "crud floating in it. Gm dex cool has designed all the crud to float to the top instead of settling down in your radiator like in the old days. the biggest thing is to watch your temps and get a test strip found at any auto parts supplier and make sure its not acidic (happens w/age and heat) itll "eat" aluminum parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
reutz;1599119; said:
truck is an 05 lly and has 40000 miles, and the coolant is looking brownish in the overflow tank. any suggestions??? i have red that dex-cool is no good so what am i supposed to use??

I also have brown coolant, '04.5 LLY with 48 000 miles.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
If you've ever had the oil changed at one of those "quick oil change" joints, they could have contaminated the coolant by topping it off with the old ethyleneglycol coolant. DexCool is NOT compatible with ethyleneglycol.

If this were my truck, I would flush the cooling system and refill with NEW DexCool to be on the safe side. If you do it yourself it's not very expensive.

I bought DexCool at my local Wal*Mart for $9.83/gallon for the undiluted stuff. The cooling system takes 21 qts according to my owners manual, so you'll need a little less than 3 gallons (10.5 qts) to refill it with 50/50 mix.

I would also use distilled water to fill it. A gallon of distilled water costs less than $1.00 around here.

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have done all the maintenance myself, so i know that no other coolant has been added. i guess i 'll try to flush it out and refill with fresh coolant?? dexcool??

·
Registered
334 Posts
mine is also turning brownish. and like you, i have done all my service personally. i have 65K on mine. i will likely change mine out this year. wil

·
Registered
299 Posts
that's why I installed a coolant filter to keep my deathcool a nice orange color... works nice...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is any long life coolant the same as Dexcool? We use Cat products at work and they use a long life coolant as well. It seems to be a bit better than Dexcool as I have never seen it turn brown. Don't know if it is compatable though or not.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
schmibm;1601142; said:
Is any long life coolant the same as Dexcool? We use Cat products at work and they use a long life coolant as well. It seems to be a bit better than Dexcool as I have never seen it turn brown. Don't know if it is compatable though or not.

The ELC coolants are not compatible with Dexcool. I tell people that Dex is like the mean kid in the sandbox, he doesnt play nice with anyone else. :D

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I agree I would install a coolant filter if your keeping your truck. I dont know why gm cant do this. I also agree use strictly straight dex cool, I dont have any verifyable proof, but sure owuld use that "all makes all model" stuff in my truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts