Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some good instructions on how to do this. I didn't see any in the DIY or maintenance areas. Does anyone know if this has been published on here or have a link that I can visit?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Pretty straight forward. But is was awhile ago I did it.

If you want to do a complete flush:

Drain radiator at radiator.Refill with plain deionized water(this has been debated). Run truck for a few minutes adding water as needed.

Repeat until water drained is clear. Refill with straight (orange) extended life coolant after final drain.IIR the capacity is 20 quarts,someone will correct me, so you will need 2.5 gallons to 3 gallons coolant back in. I don't have my Helms handy.

Run with coolant tank cover off at 2000 ir so RPM untill it burps air and top off with 50/50 coolant if you have no straight coolant left. This is in general.

Check level and coolant range of protection.

If you only want to drain off half ,drain radiator replenish with 50/50 extended life(orange).

·
Registered
535 Posts
It is time for me to do this.

What is the generally accepted method for draining?
- in other words, what do you do with the drained fluid? Dump it into the storm sewer? Collect & recycle?

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Let your neighbors barking dog have it;) ...IIRC last time I flushed it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
HBruns;1624456; said:
It is time for me to do this.

What is the generally accepted method for draining?
- in other words, what do you do with the drained fluid? Dump it into the storm sewer? Collect & recycle?

Collect and recycle just like used motor oil. Most towns have recycle drop off locations. If not check with a local garage or parts store,junk yards.

I personally saved mine and used in other vehicles.

DO not dump in a storm drain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.