Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be replacing my radiator next weekend and was wondering what the best procedure is to flush/back flush all the old coolant out of the entire system and refill with new coolant. Also, would it be smart to replace the radiator hoses, tank cap, and t-stat as preventive maintenance while I'm at it? As to t-stats, 180 or 190 degree?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Also, would it be smart to replace the radiator hoses, tank cap, and t-stat as preventive maintenance while I'm at it? As to t-stats, 180 or 190 degree?
Yes......195

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ditto. If you're going to be ripping the radiator out, I would definitely do the hoses and thermostats as well. You've got it apart anyway.

Sincerely,

Rob :)

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Change out the sensor in the head on the drivers side as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fish,

this will sound....well, a little odd, but I flushed my 6.5 when I changed hoses etc by reinstalling everything except the dual thermostats, left those out. Then I took the top hose and hooked it up to my wet/dry vac. Filled the rad with a water hose at the top rad inlet then turned on the shop vac. I had to do this several times as the water hose couldn't keep up but it worked like a charm and the rad hose fit perfectly inside my shop vac hose.

Reinstalled new thermostats, attached the top hose to the rad, filled the plastic tank with premix, started the truck and when the tank emptied filled it up again and so on.

I only had to do a small top up a couple of days later. Unorthodox, maybe, but it sure cleaned out the old stuff.

good luck

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
if you have scale build up i have used electirc dishwashing compound(1 cup) mixed with water pour into rad. with engine running, bring to high idle or drive around town, then drain and flush(2 times or til no residue) vacuum works good to drain system. best time to replace hoses and belts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts