Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92' 6.5 liter diesel that has leaked water where the line comes in on the coolant crossover above the engine coolant temp. sensor. This morning I tried to loosen the connection to see the leak and it was corroded bad enough the threads broke off and are seized onto where the line screws in.. It had corroded away so much metal that it didnt seal anymore...can you replace the coolant crossover or did I just pull a major oops??

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
No need to replace the crossover.

Go to your local parts house and they will have a removal tool and the fitting for a few dollars. It's almost impossible to remove that fitting without breaking it. Very common item.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply...Will I have to go to a chevy dealership or is this a common item for any parts store?? Also is there a specific name for the fitting or should will they recognize the broken part??

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Any parts store. It's a heater hose quick connect fitting. They will recognize it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
if the nipple remover dont work youll have to drill and tap it thats probly what youll have to do...you can also get a 1/2" male x barbed fitting and reconnect it with a piece of hose

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did the same thing 2 weeks ago with mine the cross over pipe is $220 at the dealership the quick connect fitting is $9.00.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what size bit and tap should I use??.. The extracter bit i've been trying to get the threads out with is just slowly shaving the metal away instead of biting and trying to back everything out

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
1/2 npt tap....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Once it gets far enough it should come out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Those fittings from the factory are cast magnesium. This is supposed to add anti-corrosion properties(magnesium ions) to the coolant system. I chewed mine till it ate the threads in the crossover trying to remove the broken threads, hence 97+ coolant upgrade, good luck! The replacement from A-zone was inexpensive and not made from magnesium so it shouldn't break off, if I ever have to remove it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is what i'm afraid of doing. If it doesn't look like they gonna come out then i may resort to tapping it back out...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did it to mine too about 3 yrs ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After snapping a wrench with a cheater pipe I was finally able to get the threads to break loose and back out. That was one battle I wasn't sure I was going to win.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts