Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked past my wife’s Duramax yesterday evening and noticed something funny around the passenger’s side front wheel, turned out to be coolant. It was all over the inner wheel well indicating that it had been blown out while she was driving. I checked the reservoir and it was nearly empty. I ask my wife if she had noticed anything with the gages when she was driving (around town) and she said she had not. I washed everything down with water and refilled the reservoir. She drove it about 20 miles again around town last night and had no problems; temp on her return was normal, reservoir still at the same place it was after refill.
My question is: What happened? Was this just a hiccup or do I have an intermittent failure of the water pump or a sticking thermostat?

Thanks

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
When mine did that it was the headgasket.

Here's what occured after that first coolant res blowout.

When I opened the res it was pressurized. If your's doesn't get pressurized it could be something else.

I would be driving along on the highway and the engine temp would drop drastically then it would spit out coolant. I never could get it stabilized until I had the headgasket replaced.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
How many miles ??

We shouldn't forget other possibilities as in injector cup sleeve also ... Either way heads come off if the system is pressurizing...

Good luck

Mac

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine had a hose slip off and dump coolant. The clamps GM uses are junk.

On edit it did dump under the left front and then all over my trailer.Edited by: MOTO HEAD

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Yes... sorry to scare the heck out of you. Check all the simple stuff first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts