Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
So I looked around on this forum for my answers, but I couldn't find exactly what I needed to know.
To get to the problem, I often see steam rolling from under the truck's hood, especially when I slow down at higher speeds. It is blowing out of the overflow hose by the cap because there is a washed-off spot below the hose.
I suspect that it is an HG, but I'm not sure how to test it to make sure. I tried feeling that hose on top, but I'm not sure how hard is proof of a bad HG.

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
Signs of HG issues:
Coolant loss
bubbles in the coolant tank while the engine is running
Excess smoke from the tailpipe that smells sweet
Rock hard upper Radiator hose while the engine is running
Oil in coolant or coolant in the oil

Reactions: bk95td and 56pan

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, what passes as bubbles in the tank? I see a lot of fine bubbles or I'm not exactly sure what it is. And if the upper radiator hose is soft, can you pinch it together briefly?

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
Okay, what passes as bubbles in the tank? I see a lot of fine bubbles or I'm not exactly sure what it is. And if the upper radiator hose is soft, can you pinch it together briefly?
If you see active bubbles in the coolant tank that move the fluid around.
Upper rad hose will be rock hard. You should not be able to squeeze it together.

· Registered
7 Posts
Check or replace radiator cap. If no improvement follow HG protocol outlined above. For hard to pin down situations buy or borrow a combustion leak tester but only if you don't have the obvious signs OK listed.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We found out the hard way that it is an HG.

Soon it was pushing antifreeze out by the quarts.

When we took the thermostat housing, it was spitting out air like madness.

So that means an HG change. Does anyone have suggestions which HG is best, especially for a 100 hp+ tune?

· Administrator
27,225 Posts

I also recommend you use ARP studs
(y)

· Registered
5,157 Posts
100+ HP tune? you are going to need more than ARP studs to keep the engine together. The head studs will keep the top from blowing off. What about the bottom end coming thru the oil pan.?

Reactions: 56pan

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100+ HP tune? you are going to need more than ARP studs to keep the engine together. The head studs will keep the top from blowing off. What about the bottom end coming thru the oil pan.?
Well, the guys at Quadstar Tuning, said that was all I needed, and they supposedly tune those 6.5s to 450 hp at the wheels.
I also use ARP thread sealer. I just kinda expected that would be the best stuff.
Any input would be appreciated.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
450 HP to the ground out of a 6.5 with just a tune is fantasy land. I dont think we are in Kansas anymore.

· Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,464 Posts
Well, the guys at Quadstar Tuning, said that was all I needed, and they supposedly tune those 6.5s to 450 hp at the wheels.
450 HP to the ground out of a 6.5 with just a tune is fantasy land.
Just a tune from Quad does not bring the 6.5 to 450 wheel HP nor is that their claim. To get there you need a bunch of extensive work and mods.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
May the OP was confusing Torque with Horse power?
450 Torque is more realistic.

· Registered
269 Posts
for 450 hp you need to change IP also not only a tune

they claim their DS4 the beast are capable of more than 400 hp, with their tune and adding other mod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts